litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

NC500

ollie

Hello, Just debating doing the NC500 in the Lotus.

Whats people's opinions? I've heard lots of mixed reviews roads are bad, can be a nightmare parking where you feel it would be safe etc. 

We were thinking of doing it over 2 weeks with a mixture of B&Bs plus the possibility of some camping but obviously that creates its own problems fitting tent, sleeping bag, clothes etc all in?

So opinions on anyone that's done it either in there lotus or other cars. 

Cheers 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Ollie,

I plan to do it with family later this year.

If you like I have a 16 page document prepared by a cousin with Scottish connections on places of interest and in particular independent hotels on and off the route.

If you're interested reply with your email address and I'll forward it to you.

11 hours ago, Clive Mattinson said:

Hello Ollie,

If you like I have a 16 page document prepared by a cousin with Scottish connections on places of interest and in particular independent hotels on and off the route.

Hi Clive

I'd be very grateful if I could trouble you for a copy too, please.  

Planning on driving it and cycling it later this year / next year. (Not sure in  which  order) A friend is doing it sooner in a camper van to recce the roads but the more info we can collate about the route the better. 

Best wishes

MrWill 

Hi Ollie

We did it a couple of years ago in the Lotus using air B&B it worked fine. We went in September and the traffic was not an issue but I would expect it could be in the summer. Roads were not too bad take your time and and you can avoid the potholes!

Well worth doing.

Regards

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Will. I live in the Highlands and would advise doing it at the start or end of the busy season for the best driving experience. Roads will be quieter then as will all the tourist hot spots. As for car parking, in what way do you think it's not safe? As for road surfaces, I find them to be VERY good with the bad bits only being patches here and there. The Bealach over to Applecross however is very poor due to how busy it's become unfortunately. I would take a blast along it very soon but as I'm selling my Focus RS I'm wanting to refrain from using it as much as possible (It's killing me as the roads will be super quiet right now!)

Regardless of when you do it one thing shall remain epic and that is the landscape, it doesn't matter what the weather is like the scenery really is incredible. The NC500, or at least some stretches of it, will provide you with some of the best driving roads there are but my ultimate favourite isn't on the NC500, the A887 onto the A87 from Invermoriston through Kintail and onto Skye is sublime.

On 30/03/2021 at 12:35, MrWill said:

Hi Clive

I'd be very grateful if I could trouble you for a copy too, please.  

Planning on driving it and cycling it later this year / next year. (Not sure in  which  order) A friend is doing it sooner in a camper van to recce the roads but the more info we can collate about the route the better. 

Best wishes

MrWill 

Hi Clive

Have pm’d you to blag a copy as well please. Might give it a try later this year.

Cheers...Phil

On 12/04/2021 at 18:44, Clive Mattinson said:

Hi Phil,

No problems. I''ve forwarded the document and hope you find it useful.

Just confirm that you received it, ok 👍

My I have a copy ?   please

On 30/03/2021 at 00:35, Clive Mattinson said:

Hello Ollie,

Hi Clive could you send it me please

[email protected]

thanks mate

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/03/2021 at 00:35, Clive Mattinson said:

Hello Ollie,

Please could you email me the guide, i am doing the NC500 on 21/05 

[email protected]

cheers

Archived