litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Quick video of me trying to kill our very own Marcus on track at Donny yesterday!! :D

M@r]{

Some enjoyable sessions out on track yesterday with Opentrack.  Glorious weather but it was red flag city, people driving beyond their ability and taking shit boxes on track and breaking down.  So first 1.5hrs of a 3hr day were pretty much written off.  But after a 2nd driver briefing where they threatened to send home the next person causing a red flag, things got better.  

It was my 3rd track day in my new to me Westy, really loving this car.  Brake bias needs moving to the rear a bit, but aside from that it is so well balanced.  I do love Donnington, shame the noise limit is so low but short shifting past the meter is no hardship.  Took Marcus out for a bit, nearly killed him twice (both "moments" in the video below) but we made it back in one piece.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good vid.

Reminds me of my Westfield R1. I had the same paddles and dash display as you Mark.
Sound amazing at full chat, blasting though the gears. Barnet clutch made a difference.

You can brake so much later in a BEC, no flywheel inertia to push you forward. 

On 07/06/2019 at 21:07, John FISH Curtis said:

Good vid.

Reminds me of my Westfield R1. I had the same paddles and dash display as you Mark.
Sound amazing at full chat, blasting though the gears. Barnet clutch made a difference.

You can brake so much later in a BEC, no flywheel inertia to push you forward. 

Yes that seems to be where I catch most cars up by braking so much later. I actually think I can improve that side, I’m pretty sure the front are locking before the rears really bite.

Anyway, I wasn’t sure how I’d get on with a seven style car or a car with a bike engine, but I’m sold. It’s taking track days to another level for me :)

18 hours ago, John FISH Curtis said:

Fit a brake bias valve. The Westfield isn't designed for lightweight engines. Took me a few attempts to get the balance right. The fronts can skid due to too little weight over them, some times skipping.

Thanks John.  I do have an adjuster already fitted, knob on the dash.  I just get so carried away when I'm on track I forget stuff like that  :)   It was only after watching the video back I thought about trying to move the bias to the back slightly.

It's funny, I don't notice any of the skipping you've mentioned, doesn't feel too light at the front.  Although I've got both a splitter and canards at the front so maybe that's adding a little downforce?  It has been properly set up, corner weighted with my fat arse sat in it  :)  Handling wise it's sublime, so well balanced and controllable when pushed too far.  I've done three track days in it and I haven't spun once yet!!  I think I need to try harder!  I've always been of the mindset that if you don't spin at least once you're not trying hard enough  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

You looked like you were exiting redgate at nearly 100mph from what i could make out from your speedo! that car has serious grip! nicely driven! been there a few times now and I can vouch for the red flag situation! They seem to be squeezing more cars on  track per session and that doesn't help much!

Archived