litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Is There Such A Thing.....

Chris_edeson

On the surface looks fantastic if your thinking of buying a visit to view the car and speak with the owner should confirm if it is lagit !

As the car has never been tracked and the car only has 8k on the clock the bodywork and interior should be pristine also the wishbones are a good telltale

Also don't forget ask the seller for the registration no and check out past mots and mileage on the government website

I hope this helps

Regards

Colin

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good advice from Colin, I'd still get it all checked over by someone who knows their stuff - there could still be problems lurking, especially if it has stood for long periods (8k miles in 14 years...).

Find out if the current owner (or previous) are on any Lotus forums, and try to establish whether they are enthusiasts or not. Some people buy these cars because they are relatively cheap to buy, then don't maintain them properly. Low mileage doesn't automatically mean it won't cost you money to replace things that have perished etc over time. Consider also that the tyres could be 14 years old as its probably on its original boots.

I'm not trying to put you off - in your shoes I'd be asking lots of questions on the phone and doing checks, before looking at the car. It does look promising.

What's your likely annual mileage?

Spoke to guy selling it - sold this afternoon no surprise at that price really, but as always sound advice chaps. Very greatful as always.

Mileage wise I'm not too sure. I do 80 miles a day - mostly in the Audi tdi wagon but on dry days use the Williams (which the lotus will replace) usually at least a couple of times a week. I drive a roads up the fosse way from chipping Norton to rugby it's a great drive at the early hour I go :)

Dave

Good call looks a great car for the money with no work to be done ( just a tidy up of the engine bay ) a great buy for 8k

If i were in the market for an s1 i would consider this leaving me a little money to spend :)

• 2 weeks later...

This one is worth a look and call seems like she has been looked after and you will proberbly get the price down ( just question the engine ? )

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/elise-s1/lotus-elise-elise------------------1998/5851557?v=c#/home

Hope this helps

Colin

Thanks Colin... I'm waiting on a phone call tomorrow which I hope will mean the search is over. Don't want to tempt fate.... But we will see.

Archived