litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Whys Clarkson Slagging Off Lotus?

P4N Lotus

Normal Clarkson trying to be controversial. Drumming up interest for the new series of Top gear? However a fair bit he says about Chapman is correct. He was a genius. he also turned this into tax avoidance. He should maybe have worked for Google?

Clarkson should stick to just reviewing cars. However this is the last thing Top Gear is actually about.

Pffft, Clarkson is good at writing things in a blunt and convincing manner that still manages to be entertaining, i don't think you can ever believe much of it though. Suspect in all his work he leaves out a lot of the facts for the purpose of making the piece simple and coherent (and amusing)

Well, you can argue semantics and some of the finer detail, but essentially, he is correct.

Lotus is dead in the water unless somebody does something bold (and finds a very large bag of money from somewhere)

Well, you can argue semantics and some of the finer detail, but essentially, he is correct.

Lotus is dead in the water unless somebody does something bold (and finds a very large bag of money from somewhere)

I don't see how it can be taken any other way, especially with Caterham, Renault and Alpha now joining the fray.

Top gear - oh, that's the tv program I used to watch before all the YouTube channels started producing better information and more entertaining content.

Is it still going? That's quaint.

They kept on making the Elise in various guises until it started to feel old-fashioned and a bit rubbish. Then they kept making it some more.

I really don't see how the Elise is old-fashioned at all and it's certainly not rubbish.

I find this comment really quite odd given that every time JC takes an Elise/Exige out he says it's incredible.

The Morgan business model works well enough, and is based on low volumes driving demand. Lotus appears to have (has) unsustainable overheads so will only survive in the longer term with serious trimming and realistic production numbers. I really hope that Lotus does survive though, and despite what Clarkson thinks, the Elise is still a modern chassis design, even by todays standards.

Archived