litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Late Summer Diy

Martin R

Martin, how's this going ? If it's not too late, I'd get some verniers on the cams before putting it all back together. Or get yourself tempted with some of the DVA stuff (he does a VHPD kit - should be easy enough fit if yours is still in bits.....). I'm booked in for December, finally.

Chris, im on a budget so im just doing the basics :( I will update the thread once we are moving again. It turns out mine is running a standard exhaust manifold, which partly explains Dans seeming to be a lot quicker than mine. That will be next on the upgrade path. I find it hard to believe a Sport 190 came out of Hethel like it. Maybe its been changed before i got it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin, you'll be pleased to know i'm still alive and so is your cylinder head. I should have it back tomorrow from skimming, i'll build it back up and you can probably have it back on saturday.

A box full of followers with their shims...you DO NOT want to mix these up, as shimming by hand is an absolute ball ache.

322af0ca.jpg

Loads of valves...

66f318c1.jpg

This is what your cylinder heads look like inside....within a very short space of time the exhaust side gets covered in carbon, perfectly normal.

9e5be6ba.jpg

Heres the offending item, from about 4 to 6 o'clock around the chamber you should be able to see the dull area where the firing ring of the gasket has sunken into the head.

58215ffd.jpg

Martin, there are a few reasons why mine feels so much stronger than yours, its become apparent that my head is a fair bit more developed than yours, its had quite a bit more work on the ports and chambers. Thats not to say yours is bad, but with a little work it could be improved. My cams also run the same duration but higher lift than VHPD cams. The mid range on mine really is stonking but I don't expect it puts out much if any more peak power.

Freshly wrapped goodness...

1098548f.jpg

Nice and clean

cd148c87.jpg

Starting to put valves back in...

30b99840.jpg

8 down 8 to go...

bb61e0c2.jpg

Its a fiddly job getting the collets back in....needs fingers like edward scissorhands....

95e80ab8.jpg

Done.

d02e0f6f.jpg

Time for the followers....thats engine building lube not strawberry topping :D

39fc171e.jpg

Cams carrier and cams next....

5cb21728.jpg

advice mate im a lotus tech.If u skim the head its scrap.k series heads have a very hard cylinder face,if u skim it youll have constant problems.believe me ,i have done over 300 headgakets and no them inside out.also your timing marks should line up?

Interesting POV on the head being scrap if it's skimmed. There are a lot of people with equal experience that would disagree with you on that one.

Heads need to be hardness tested and if below 95 brinell they may not be suitable for skimming, but over is no problem.

advice mate im a lotus tech.If u skim the head its scrap.k series heads have a very hard cylinder face,if u skim it youll have constant problems.believe me ,i have done over 300 headgakets and no them inside out.also your timing marks should line up?

I hate to disagree but im going too :)

This man has done a few as well

http://kengine.dvapower.com/

He peens and skims the head as a matter of course. Also this is a K series VHPD. This is IMO the reason the marks do not line up. Watch this space as time will tell. Thanks for the input though.

:D Good news we are running again. I will update the first post when i have wiped the blood of my hands. I appear to have no leaks and the prt also appears to be doing its job. Ive a couple of small jobs to do and then it will be time to put the clam back on. I expect it will now start raining none stop.

Good news we are running again....

But Martin, how can this be? Elite the Lotus Tech says your timing marks are lined up incorrectly, and he should know. :rolleyes:

Still, I don't suppose it matters now your head is scrap...

I will add a couple of pics before i slam the cover back on for reference. To be honest they probably bear no resemblence to anything else K series. I have deliberatly avoided doing it to prevent confusion but i will post a pic for reference. If i had the money i would put some verniers on to be honest.

Archived