litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Late Summer Diy

Martin R

I guess what elite is saying is that there is a risk of spending all that time and money, only for the issue to not be rectified.

Land Rover had a service bulettin i believe that suggested renewing the cylinder head. I guess on a new car you dont want to be doing the same work under warranty twice.

However, it is quite well known that if you carry out a hardness test and check some other fundamental parts of the engne (liner height, head warping), you can save a head using the appropriate gasket.

Timing Marks out of line????? He might have done plenty of K series but I wonder how many were VHPD?

I guess its a sign of the times that due to the labour cost it could be more economical these days to just replace an engine/head. Hence the fall in proper engine maintenance skills.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an aside to this, the Rover engine service manual states that it is safe to skim 0.2mm off the head. I will say DVA reckons you can get away with a bit more than this. As VHPD MS2 heads are hardly 10 a penny and im skint it was a no brainer for the free cost of my labour and the relativly small cost of a head gasket and bolts and a Dan special price skim and fettle ( top man ) Its all back together bar a couple of bits. I will give it a road test at the weekend and report back and update the thread.

I believe PTP ( power train products ) was a development arm of Rover when it was stil open. This would make sense as the East works at Longbridge was known as power and train. If it was set up by ex Rover people i dont know but i suspect it was. I think Mark A would likely know the answer.

I do believe the VHPD was a unique casting although the VVC casting has a very strong resemblance and can be turned into a head with the same output as a VHPD fairly easily. The main difference is the VHPD uses mechanical followers and the VVC hydraulic. They can be changed though.

I also believe im correct in saying that the VHPD,s for S1 Exiges were built at PTP. The 33 or so VHPD,s for the S2 were built ( assembled ) in house at Lotus and dynoed at Scholar engines. Lotus sport appear / appeared to have a conection with them of some sort.

Its all back together and ive given it a try. :D What can i say but all seems well ( touch wood ) Its as loud as ever and appears to be going nicely. The PRT also appears to be doing its job. Ive a feeling tomorrow will be a driving day grinning like an idiot again, after its been washed of course.

Archived