litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Is A Race Seat Needed With A Harness?

MSH

Tillet B5 seats are the dogs danglers..... Very comfy and supportive, not sure if you can get much lower deleting the lotus runners as you will still need mounting brackets ideally, I stand to be corrected thou ?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im looking at some b5's too, any appetite for a group buy, i know a few folk did this several years ago and the prices offered where reasonable, or allowed folk to go carbon instead of grp ??

rich

Back to the OP - I now have seats with harness holes but the originals didn't.  The harness were the none-bolted ones, but they we crossed over behind the seat before going round the harness bar.  That stops them going off the seat shoulders.  Likewise, any bolted ones are surely OK ?  If you're small in the seat, there will be a problem whatever harnesses (and seatbelt) you use.  If you're big enough that your shoulders are at / above the shoulder height of the seat, you should be fine.

The Tillett seat - made for skinny folks !  My backside doesn't fit 9and that part of me isn't that big).  My shoulders are nowhere near fitting in the seat either.  You will need to try one if you're of a larger size.

im looking at some b5's too, any appetite for a group buy, i know a few folk did this several years ago and the prices offered where reasonable, or allowed folk to go carbon instead of grp ??

rich

I'd be happy to look into this, although I only want one for the moment.

Back to the OP - I now have seats with harness holes but the originals didn't.  The harness were the none-bolted ones, but they we crossed over behind the seat before going round the harness bar.  That stops them going off the seat shoulders.  Likewise, any bolted ones are surely OK ?  If you're small in the seat, there will be a problem whatever harnesses (and seatbelt) you use.  If you're big enough that your shoulders are at / above the shoulder height of the seat, you should be fine.

The Tillett seat - made for skinny folks !  My backside doesn't fit 9and that part of me isn't that big).  My shoulders are nowhere near fitting in the seat either.  You will need to try one if you're of a larger size.

I've sat in both the B5 and B6 at tweeks not long ago, they were both snug but comfortable so should be ok.

You can cut holes in your seat for now. Have an upholsterer do it - it's simple and cheap and it solves the problem. Personally I think standard seats with bolted harnesses done up nice and tight is unlikely to cause problems if you aren't too small or too big - i had this set up in my VX - but I can understand not wanting to take a chance.

I would also suggest standard seatbelts are far from ideal in a shunt though - they allow you to move a fair bit before they catch you.

Looks like the B5 will be the one for me. Have you gone for the extra suede panels or stuck the bare GRP, Peter/Andy?

I got a good deal at the time so went the whole hog and had the carbon seats with the suede panels.  Both have worn very well and are still as good as new.  Considering how thin the suede panels look they do make quite a difference to the comfort, least that's what I found.

You can cut holes in your seat for now. Have an upholsterer do it - it's simple and cheap and it solves the problem. Personally I think standard seats with bolted harnesses done up nice and tight is unlikely to cause problems if you aren't too small or too big - i had this set up in my VX - but I can understand not wanting to take a chance.

I would also suggest standard seatbelts are far from ideal in a shunt though - they allow you to move a fair bit before they catch you.

A good idea for the short term but I think I'd keep the seats original so I can sell them on to part fund the purchase of race seats. Also, I'm not sure I'd want to have a shunt in a seat that's been weakened by cutting holes in it.

I had harnesses with the seats you have.. I always found one was slipping off my shoulder. Far from ideal...

You are a long drink o' watter though Scatty, that has to be factored in....:-)

Archived