litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Newbie saying hi

Cactus

Hi all

i am new on here. I joined to gather some wisdom from you all and insight on lotus ownership. After looking for a while for my next car, the lotus evora 400 has been under my radar and shortlisted. Content and info on the evora is somewhat limited online. Any wise words or experience on ownership will be deeply appreciated.

I have owned different cars over the year. Currently, I am in the ownership of a lexus isf and a yaris grmn.  In the past, has had several fun car including s2000, mr2, type r previously. 

barry

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Barry. 

Missed your initial message, seems like the usual welcoming crew are all on holiday or recovering from Lotus in the peak. 

welcome to MLOC. Lotus of evora owners on here, all with sage words of advice i am sure. 

Hello Barry, welcome.

I was (still am) a fan of the S2000 and drove them for 10 years, half of that time it was my only car!

Early Evoras had a few teething issues, but these were ironed out long before the 400 was launched.  The 400 is a nice stable and secure ride and certainly an everyday car.  It changes character in sports mode and becomes an exciting drive.  It is without a doubt a great step into the brand and is full of the things that make Lotus magical.  You will get all the things that journalists wax lyrical about when driving Lotus cars with a softened and more civilised edge.

Have you driven one yet?

As I’m sure you probably know, you tuber JayEmm launched his channel with a Yellow 400 and produced loads of content on it.

Edited by PJT

Hi Barry and welcome to MLOC.

I'm not an Evora expert unfortunately but I haven't heard many bad things about them and I have been an active member of this forum for 11 years.

I drove a 400 once, but only for about 10 miles and not particularly fast. It rode nicely, steered beautifully and felt special but the gearchange and driveline - something to do with the clutch action maybe - didn't feel very nice. It was an early car though so perhaps they aren't all like that.

You will have to try one for yourself. Can I suggest you have a go in a late model Elise 220 with the open gearchange as well, in case you haven't already tried one, for comparison purposes?  If you plan on using the car as a weekend toy arguably the Elise is the better suited. It's an even more involving drive. Obvs if you are using it daily and/or for touring the Evora is miles better.

Happy hunting!

Hi Barry

I've owned my Evora Sports Racer from new since 2015 (and still love it to bits).  There have been lots of other companions for the Evora over the years though - all Lotii I must add!!

I've also driven the 400 several times but think that particular model was a negative step in the Evora lineage.  It's loud, too loud, and Lotus (probably in a round of parts cost-savings) replaced the stunningly perfect Recaro seats with dodgy Sparcos.  And, for whatever reason, they also ruined the styling with new, "facelifted" front and rear mouldings (although they did regain credibility with a subsequent facelift that was first seen on the 430 and then made available on all lower variants).

My SR is naturally aspirated and so puts out "only" 276 bhp, which may not sound too impressive these days, but it is surprisingly rapid with a spine tingling V6 sound track in sport mode (yes, it does also have a button actuated exhaust flap, but the result is a sophisticated deepening of exhaust note, accompanied by a sharpened throttle response, and a higher rev limit).

At the time the SR variants were launched (both N/A and S/C) Lotus chucked every available extra onto the car as a complete package, but at a reduced cost compared to adding each extra separately to a base car.  This included the "premium leather" upgrade for the interior, which was a massive step up in leather quality.  My Recaros have the Venom Red leather with black piping, and still look like brand new after 22,000 miles!  It also came with 19 inch (front) / 20 inch (rear) forged alloys as standard, fitted with Pirelli P-Zero Corsas (LTS).

In summary, I think the SR variant was (and still is) the sweet spot of all the Evoras.  If you can get a good one, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Anything else you want to know about Evora ownership, just ask :ike:.

I have even basic NA and it’s a real theatre event I can in my own low risk driving style still use all 280 horses on our uk roads without attracting attention from camera etc 

as ever you need to jump into a few cars and I must stress there’s only a few as I think 19 in total on auto trader so you don’t have a great choice , also prices are remaining fairly static so a bargain will be hard to come by ?

i dont have a doubt on how fun and capable the lotus evora is. Coming from toyota/honda/lexus ownership, my main concern is being not used to the potential reliability/qc issue.

i will try to test drive but not many around me. Those close to me is automatic which i have zero interest in.

Hi Cactus

I don't have any experience of the 400 but I do have a 2010 Evora NA. I have had it for 4 1/2 years and done about 13,000 miles in it. I have had it regularly maintained at a Lotus main dealer (Central) which I have been told is somewhat cheaper than some other makes.

As for reliability, it has never let me down. I mostly drive it once a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. Other than routine maintenance the parts that have been replaced are :-

Oxygen sensor x2 £90

Coroded brackets, coroded sump pan, handbrake cables, brake pipes. Replaced at service and itemised on the invoice which is upstairs in a cupboard.

Wheel arch scrivets £7

Battery £96

Boot lid gas struts £20

Not bad considering it is a 2010 car. The engine is Toyota quality and reliability. The bodywork is composite / fibre glass so won't rust. The tub is aluminium and well protected from the elements. There are components that are steel and will rust but not as much as on other cars.

As for q/c, I am happy with it but that is really a matter of perception. Someone coming from a Rolls Royce might have a different perception. The Evora is hand built and mine is the 2010 model. The 400s are newer and are supposed to have better q/c.

Good luck with the search and I would recommend you look at cars that you don't even think you want (like the IPS automatic) as they will give you a flavour of what the Evora is like and additional knowledge about the ones that you do want. If you don't get an Evora you will probably end up regretting it.

p.s. There aren't that may of these around, they are quite exclusive. You may need to travel to view and test. I bought mine in a private sale from a guy in Glasgow.

Edited by MG4Lotus