litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Track day questions

Luke Seagrave
Go to solution Solved by dobbo,

Hi,

Can I ask the more experienced/veterans of track days a couple of questions as I'm interested in taking my elise on a track day later in the year. So I do apologise if these sound like very dense questions but it may help other people who might have the same questions if they have never been..

1. Do you use a different set of tyres for track events? 

2. Do most of you have your own helmets or do you hire them. Which helmets would you recommend to buy? 

3. Do other drivers allow for first timers who might be slower than usual? (If you have been in a mloc run with me, you will know I'm very cautious driving) 

4. Has anyone utilised the professional driving tuition and found it useful? 

Thanks, again sorry if these questions seem daft. 

Luke

• Solution

Some have stickier tyres, some don't

Many people hire a helmet until they're sure they like TDs

With Lotus on Track, people are well behaved and rules are enforced.  I never go with anyone else

Instruction is generally useful, especially first time at a track.

If you can, come to Donny tomorrow and see what you think (and curry after).

Hi Luke

Until you're sure you want to invest further, regular Elise tyres are quite sticky enough and And Elise is quite gentle on its boots anyway

2. Do most of you have your own helmets or do you hire them. Which helmets would you recommend to buy? 

I'd hate to put another persons helmet on (even with a balaclava) so I'd personally splash on this. For a soft top car like an Elise a full-face helmet is mandatory(as are covered arms /legs for all trackdays, don't arrive in just a t-shirt and shorts!)

I bought a Bell Qualifier DLX from https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/

3. Do other drivers allow for first timers who might be slower than usual? (If you have been in a mloc run with me, you will know I'm very cautious driving) 

In general I'd say yes: we all started somewhere! There are specific novice events at some tracks (eg MSV at Cadwell)

Yes, yes and yes.  Its also useful to passenger with an experienced driver to look at braking points, lines etc

Let us know how you get on Luke!

54 minutes ago, dobbo said:

Some have stickier tyres, some don't

Many people hire a helmet until they're sure they like TDs

With Lotus on Track, people are well behaved and rules are enforced.  I never go with anyone else

Instruction is generally useful, especially first time at a track.

If you can, come to Donny tomorrow and see what you think (and curry after).

Thanks for the useful answers, I'm going to give Donington a miss as I've spent the last three days there. (Doing some things with Download Festival).  I will look at joining Lotus on Track.

Many thanks.

Luke

12 minutes ago, andrewelan said:

Hi Luke

Until you're sure you want to invest further, regular Elise tyres are quite sticky enough and And Elise is quite gentle on its boots anyway

I'd hate to put another persons helmet on (even with a balaclava) so I'd personally splash on this. For a soft top car like an Elise a full-face helmet is mandatory(as are covered arms /legs for all trackdays, don't arrive in just a t-shirt and shorts!)

I bought a Bell Qualifier DLX from https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/

In general I'd say yes: we all started somewhere! There are specific novice events at some tracks (eg MSV at Cadwell)

Yes, yes and yes.  Its also useful to passenger with an experienced driver to look at braking points, lines etc

Let us know how you get on Luke!

Hi Andrew,

Thank you kindly for the information, I will look into MSV at cadwell. I might start by hiring helmets until I know if I like track days or not.

Thanks,

Luke

5 hours ago, andrewelan said:

If you book a Cadwell session let me know. I'm only 40 mins away and would be delighted to 'support'

Hi Andrew, 

Thanks, I think realistically, it will be next year now, as my insurance seems to be extortionate if I want to add track days.

Thanks,

Luke

Luke,  as you are new to this, Cadwell may not be a great place for your start. It’s a very fast circuit, narrow and tricky. In a Caterham it’s hard to avoid getting airborne, in places there is no run off. Bedford, Donington, Anglesey are safer bets, in that order. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, winthattt said:

Luke,  as you are new to this, Cadwell may not be a great place for your start. It’s a very fast circuit, narrow and tricky. In a Caterham it’s hard to avoid getting airborne, in places there is no run off. Bedford, Donington, Anglesey are safer bets, in that order. 

Thanks, it may be best that I avoid Cadwell. Thanks for the heads up.

Luke

2 hours ago, Elisemadray said:

Hi Luke, I would suggest Blyton Park for your first outing its much closer to you has lots of run off, is technical so will help improve your driving skills, and definitely book tuition it would help you no end

Thanks Ray,

I will look into that. 

Best wishes,

Luke

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dobbo said:

Speaking from current experience, makes sure your recovery policy includes recovery from TDs.

Mine does, fortunately 🤬

Hope it’s nothing too serious and you get to Ltip. Sun was blinding at the close so I left before missing the corner at Redgate!