litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Rear brake disc retaining screws

richbk

Hi folks . Just doing little ferrying jobs on the exige whilst I wait my new harnesses touching down so I can actually drive the thing . 
despite being relatively new and not rusted in place the rear retaining screws on my discs appear to have developed a cheese like consistency and I have had to remove with larger torx fitting . Does anyone know what size the bolts are and if an off the shelf euro car parts item will suffice as I can’t bring myself to pay the 8.34 postal charge for a £4 item from the usual lotus suppliers ?

or if anyone has 2 spare they could pop in the post in exchange for a beer at LITP or similar meat that would be awesome

cheers

rich

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rich - just measure the thread length and order some stainless ones on eBay.   I think they are M6 or M8, have a look in the PDF parts manual.   No need for high tensile bolts here I don't think, all they do is stop the disc rotating when you are trying to put the wheel bolts in!  I'd put a dab of copaslip on them too.

You'll probably get about 10 for under a fiver, delivered.

Edited by Daveb99

Should be M6x16, but best to double-check against the ones you have.  Not sure I'd be replacing with stainless steel, though, unless you're absolutely positive that they are more cosmetic than functional.

P.S.  Seems like they don't really do anything, so stainless would be OK, or nothing at all.  Makes sense, the S1 doesn't have them.

Edited by Lithopsian

Yup , checked my S1 and they are studs not bolts and tbh don’t think they achieve much as the bolts hold everything together when the wheel is on. Don’t think I can delete on the grounds of weight saving , but figured I should put some back in if I have taken them out ! 
thx for the sizes 👍🏻

2 hours ago, richbk said:

Yup , checked my S1 and they are studs not bolts and tbh don’t think they achieve much as the bolts hold everything together when the wheel is on. Don’t think I can delete on the grounds of weight saving , but figured I should put some back in if I have taken them out ! 
thx for the sizes 👍🏻

Might be a touch embarrassing if the disk fell off when you took the wheel bolts out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/04/2023 at 09:55, Bill Hassell said:

Hi Rich

Have you found some? If not PM your address found a couple in the garage

Bill

Hi Bill , sorry for the slow reply , yes managed to pick up a set of 6 from on line supplier so I have a few spares for next disc change .

thanks for the offer 

Richard 

• 2 months later...