litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Removing steering wheel without a puller tool

jim7777

Hi has anyone removed a non-air bag Elise S2 steering wheel without using the recommended puller tool? I don't have one and wondering if there is a technique for doing this? I've tried simply pulling on it hard a few times after removing the 22mm nut and washer, but it won't budge. I suspect its never been removed since it was put on in the factory. 

Cheers

James

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen it done, on my car. Gav just pulled it really, really hard and fast with his bare hands!  Came straight off and he didn't smash his chest in either!

I wouldn't risk it myself though....

Well the first thing I would say is don't fully remove the 22mm nut, else you stand a very good chance of smashing yourself in the face with your steering wheel if it does come off. Loosen the nut but leave it still attached. Ideally you need a puller but it can occasionally be done without. Try bringing your knees up behind the steering wheel to exert some pressure that way whilst simultaneously pulling/tapping the wheel at various positions around the circumference. It might work.

I removed mine on the S2 recently without a puller tool. Leave nut on loose like other have said, I normally do some wiggling of the wheel with hands at 12 and 6, then 9 and 3 positions, then just give it a few hard yanks to try and shock it. Has worked everytime on other cars too 👍

Archived