litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

CO2 offsetting your petrol use

NightHaunter666

I'm donating money to offset the CO² from the petrol i use. It funds CO²-saving projects in countries that need it most.
At 8 euros per 1000 miles, it's affordable (based on 35mpg).
It's not the solution to all problems, but hopefully it helps until sustainable petrol is in the pumps. You could do it too.

Www.atmosfair.de

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, NightHaunter666 said:

I'm donating money to offset the CO² from the petrol i use. It funds CO²-saving projects in countries that need it most.
At 8 euros per 1000 miles, it's affordable (based on 35mpg).
It's not the solution to all problems, but hopefully it helps until sustainable petrol is in the pumps. You could do it too.

Www.atmosfair.de

Thats Great Ian, I already give £10 a month to the Woodland Trust tree planting Scheme, But I will look in to this also :) 

I'm doing a similar thing through the Shell Club, you pay an increased amount per litre (a few pence) which goes to projects theoretically making your fuel net zero...................................

It's great, and those who can spare the cash (and let's be honest, that's all lotus drivers) should consider it.

However, I don't think it gets us off scot-free!  Trouble is, there's no way of knowing whether the projects being funded would have happened anyway without the funding.  My original thought was I'd have guilt free enjoyment of the car, but I am not sure carbon trading/offsetting like that gives me complete assurance.  I still feel bad about chugging to work everyday in a diesel, but should I?  Replacing it ahead of it's time with a new, possibly electric car would be a carbon footprint disaster.  On the other hand, on a global scale,  our emissions are so low in the UK, what we do is irrelevant.  It's so difficult to cut through the hype to find any truth, and until it isn't, most folk wouldn't change anything significant!  I really don't think Greta is helping. 

The debates drone on, but how can donating cash make anything worse.

Big thumbs up to you gents.

I agree, it is always hard to be sure that your contributions are going to the best place. I'm just going to have faith and hope so.

Interesting about Shell, i was thinking it would be good if petrol prices included an offset. But less so for those on a tight budget.

7 hours ago, Elisemadray said:

Thats Great Ian, I already give £10 a month to the Woodland Trust tree planting Scheme, But I will look in to this also :) 

I've matched your contribution and joined the woodland trust too.

It's not a dick-swinging contest, but feel free to turn this into a nature-friendly bidding war...

I'm in. Thanks for the discussion. I really like what they do here in the UK so I've made the woodlands trust the place I can make a monthly DD to cover 6 tonnes CO2 / year.  I know that does not absolve me from making more lifestyle changes but it's a good underpinning to other decisions and actions.

👍

14 hours ago, NightHaunter666 said:

I've matched your contribution and joined the woodland trust too.

It's not a dick-swinging contest, but feel free to turn this into a nature-friendly bidding war...

OK so I have been looking into a number of Groups that offer carbon off setting, some are vague, some create jobs in the country of origin ( Shell. Www.atmosfair.de and others) one I almost plumped for was 'Carbon neutral Britain' but I'm going to throw  a curveball and have set up a subscription to Greenpeace UK ,so now I donate to WWF, woodland trust and Greenpeace UK :) 

We all need to do our bit.   I looked at the cost of changing my BMW for a Tesla and, like many of you, concluded a monthly donation to the woodland trust is a better plan. I was so pleased that COP26 wants to do something about methane.  I believe the USA vents and flares more methane by volume than Europe consumes in gas each year.   If that’s correct, I expect Europe and other oil producers are just as guilty. 

I’m fortunate and live near a train station and use public transport regularly and have more than halved my car miles, so I don’t feel too guilty about the odd track day.

Thanks all for posting and contributing to the thread. Offsetting the carbon impact of petrol used in my Lotus, which is driven purely for pleasure as opposed to a necessary journey, is something I have been thinking about recently. I have just signed up to a £10 monthly donation to The Woodland Trust. Every little helps.

Archived