litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

I have no upgrade path!

XH51MES

Hi all,

Took delivery of my Exige 410 in December. It ticks every box for me, special to drive, an event every time, race car for the road, I could go on and am sure other Exige owners out there feel the same.

However it’s uncovered an issue. I’ve always had an upgrade path, always had an eye on a type of car I want.

It just ticks every box, and whilst I’m in no way ready to upgrade and thoroughly enjoying the experience of it, I don’t now know what’s next.

So who has “upgraded” from a 410 (I don’t think the 430 is where I’d go) to give a similar experience and what have you upgraded to?

Cheers

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can’t believe you’re thinking about upgrading or worried about it already!   Real first world problems eh 

Ha ha. Certainly my comment wasn’t aiming to come across as a show off. Not in any position to swap but I am a petrol head and love window shopping.

Nothing floats my boat though as something to aspire too now.... good for the choice as it is now but very curious what others have done

Matt

Well,  I am so pleased you are happy with your car.

I know what you mean about where to go next, but if your happy, why worry?  Your Orange 410 in lovely.  Can't wait to see it.

But if you still can not clear your mind, I have a one word recommendation..................

COLLECTION!

You could look at adding the best examples of the S1 and S2 exiges.

You could look at a model from each of the last 5 decades.

You could get a dedicated track car.  Even a type 49 in gold leaf livery. (probs my favorite lotus)

When your happy with modern.....go old!  I've always thought the lotus elite (50's) was a beautiful car.

Upgrade wise, Maclaren spring to mind.   I love the Techno Arc S.

Haven’t got the space for a collection even though it’s a great shout!

McLaren’s are again a great shout but heard horror stories in reliability, elec gremlins and the like.

The Lotus just ticks every box. Maybe the brand has just took hold like everyone said it would!

Maybe a Type-131 will be the natural choice....

The sentiment is probably that these cars and the brand are just brilliant at getting under your skin!

You need to upgrade to a 250 Cup Elise, I will do you a massive favour and take the 410 off you in pex and I won't even ask for too much money! :tup:

Do a test drive swap on a run out

I do think the 570s might be the next step, but the running costs of a macca are a worry. A 911 GTS/Turbo is also on the bucket list. A friend has acquired an AMG GTR which is an interesting if rather lary drive.

My car aspirations are likely to be kept in check by our next house move 🙃

911 GTS!. I came from a 997 GT3 to an original Exige V6, then Exige V6 CR. Briefly had  a 2020 GT4, dealer made me an offer too good to miss before taking delivery lol. I'll end up back in a 911 at some point, they just tick so many boxes.

Interesting you came from a GT3 to Exige...

Would have thought GT3 was an upgrade from Exige, not so in your opinion?

The GT3 proved too expensive to track regularly, but was no quicker than the Exige. Also at the time I had a falling out with Porsche over the original GT4 allocations. Purchased 2 new GT3's from them and was allocated a first gen GT4 unfortunately I was gazumped by someone who spent more with them.

Have heard other owners being unhappy with the support they’ve had from Porsche after being multiple owners previously. That is one thing I have to say Lotus support seems to be good with.

Thanks for the insight tho, interesting to hear it was no quicker on track

Worst car dealer experience I ever had was in Porsche Nottingham.  Never been in a Porsche dealer since.

Lotus hits that spot for exciting road cars the are liveable with for some sacrifice.  I guess it comes down to how you feel about that sacrifice.  The Cayman S I drove was certainly a very impressive road car, but I opted for a more exciting drive and bought an Elise.

So at some point, you’ll want to swap....but why?  If your fed up with the noise and entry/exit, want to tour Europe, you’ll need something duller to drive and more comfortably (Porsche/MacLaren/Ferrari).  If you want something more exciting and quicker, you’ll need a road legal track car (Atom/Radical/ Lotus 311).

Archived