litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Returning to Lotus....maybe

FROSTIE

7 hours ago, duncx said:

That does look great Jonathan, can you say what it cost you?

Let’s just say I didn’t pay anywhere near rrp. We were supposed to have gone to see the car on the production line 19th March only for a Lotus to cancel at the very last minute due to Covid. We had time off and hotel booked etc not to mention the disappointment of not getting to see my car on the line. Both Jamie at B&C and Lotus were hugely apologetic about it and said they would do something for me to make up for the disappointment. AiM had launched the dash sometime previous and I had contacted Lotus to ask if retro fitting the dash would invalidate the warranty, they said “they couldn’t be held responsible for 3rd party kit” blah blah blah, so I held back on purchasing from AiM. Lo and behold, early June Lotus announced that the AiM dash was now an official Lotus approved product that could be fitted by their dealers, this was closely followed by a phone call from me “you know that thing you were going to do to make up for the disappointment of not seeing my car on the production line”. I’m sure you can guess the rest😉

I will never buy another brand new Lotus as I will never be in such a fortunate position again, this one was very much a one off and the culmination of many years hard work not to mention over 20 years of Elise ownership where I’ve learnt so much about the cars. Even now with a brand new Elise I have to really watch every pound I spend on it, those years experience of using indies for servicing and fixes over the years will be put to good use once the warranty runs out.

If I was ever to buy another brand new Lotus, then I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase from B&C, they and Jamie in particular seem to have a very special relationship with the factory. I have bought new Elise’s previously from other dealers but the experience of this purchase was on a different level...superb. I don’t wish to sound like I’m blowing smoke up their ass but I received exactly the kind of service I’d expect when parting with what a new Elise costs. I was treated like I was their only customer and no question, email or request was too much trouble and believe me there were literally hundreds😆

Apologies to the o/p for the thread hijack, but if your in the market for a new Lotus there’s only one place to purchase from. Just my 2p worth.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Jonathan E said:

I had the same dilemma last year. I dropped an email to every Lotus dealer in the UK saying I was in the market for a brand new factory built Elise, I knew which colour I wanted and some of the options but really couldn't make up my mind between a 250 and a 220. Like you I was staggered by the general lack of interest from a large proportion of those I'd contacted, only a few came back with anything positive and some of those were only interested if I took a car from stock, I heard nothing from Oakmere but as they were my nearest Lotus dealer I booked a test drive anyway. I had a S2111s to move on, which I was happy to part ex or sell privately if the figures didn't stack up, all pretty straight forward to be honest.

Oakmere made an offer of 11k on my 23k mile S2111s which was quite honestly laughable I told them so and left. The day I visited Oakmere Chris Evans Carfest was being held just up the road and it seemed almost everyone had gone on a jolly to the event, come Monday I had a call from the Lotus salesman explaining that the lad who had looked at my car was new and he would personally like to see my car so as to be able to give a better price re part ex. I found all this to be a bit unprofessional to be honest, and decided that they were off my list. This left two dealers who were happy to offer what I wanted for my 111s and prepared to work at a deal. Newtown Lotus Cwmbran and Bell and Colvill West Horsley, Sussex, neither were very close to me but I was prepared to travel so thats what I did. Newtown Lotus are a very small set up but extremely friendly and went out of their way to accommodate what I wanted, I walked away with a deal that I was happy with in regards to a 220 and 250, I'd just got to find a 250 to test drive. Bell and Colvill have been a Lotus Dealer for 50 years and their stock and demo cars give them the edge against all others. Having got very competitive figures from Newtown I arranged a test drive in a 220 and a 250 back to back at B&C, being totally honest, it was simply to decide which car I wanted and then I was going to place my order with Cwmbran, however on arrival at B&C I was greeted by Jamie Matthews their Lotus salesman, he explained that he had both cars waiting outside, it was up to me which one I took out first, and how long for, he suggested we(the chancellor was with me😉) should go for a good drive, find somewhere for lunch(it was 10am😳) then come back and take the other car out on the same drive. We took the 220 first, put some good miles on it via town and country roads..loved it!. The discussion over lunch was in regards to cost of the two cars when options had been added ie, you can have a full carbon kit on a 220 for the price of a nicely specced 250 etc then it was back to B&C for the quick change into the 250, same drive, stopped off at the same pub for afternoon tea(🙄buying cars is not good for the waistline) and returned the car around 4:30, by this time I'd made my mind up on the 250, there really isn't anything between them on the road, the 250 looks more aggressive which is a marmite thing performance figures are very similar and I can't honestly tell you why but it was the 250 for me......Sat down with Jamie and discussed options, and as I mentioned before being in cahoots with Lotus for so long gives them a distinct advantage over other dealers. Spec of the 250 was settled(this was last September) We agreed B&C would take my car in part ex in October and Jamie would place the order for my 250 in January and it all went like clockwork until Covid. My car finally arrived end of June 2020, this was simply due to lockdown etc and nothing B&C or anyone else could do about it..... Apologies for the long winded post, its raining outside and you did ask 😀

Colour is subjective!

Hth

DSC02514.jpg

Wow.... That is a long post.... Thanks for taking the time. 

It's interesting how good the experience you have had with B and C was, I have recently exchanged emails with them regarding a used lotus they had, I only mentioned that the distance from where I live was quite far and I would rather do a deal in one day rather than come back again, then received an unexpected email back that basically said they didn't want me to have it as they wanted someone local to purchase the car that would continue to allow them to look after it moving forward..... 

Anyway.... Your car looks fantastic and I pleased you obtained the deal and service you were happy with  I think it will have to be a 250 for me, as advised I will contact everyone and see where I get. 

The digital dash is very interesting, I wasn't aware it existed, I will definately look into that. 

When you say, no where near RRP, how much did you save. 

I have specced up a 250 to 55k and being offered by 2 dealers at 52k? 

14 hours ago, duncx said:

For me, Cup 250 every time, it just has so much more 'presence' than the 220 :) Having said that you won't notice any difference on the road, they drive exactly the same. Nobody else has answered your other question - the heater is pretty good, plenty of heat from all of the vents, although the 3 speeds of the fan don't exactly give the finest of control and the highest speed is a bit noisy. Overall the build quality of the S3 Elise has come a long way from an early S2, I love mine ....

EDIT: btw I scoff at your 'advancing years' , I'm over 60 and as long as I can get in the things I'm sticking with Lotus :lol:

IMG_20200614_140450.jpg

Over 60.....lol....i don't feel so bad now 😁

You car looks great and I have pondered over the vivid green but leaning more to the sedate fire red. 

The heater was a massive Downside in my previous elise and as I intend to use it through the winter I am please that the heater has improved, even though the controls still resemble a 1970s cooker.... 

Vivid Green is one of the best colours you can spec any lotus and would be my choice for a Elise. A previous 250 Cup owner here in a bright colour Toxic Green a big aero model. For me the latest Cup is better looking car than the previous model. If I was in the market for a Elise this is the car I would put my money in this spec with the diamond cut alloys,totally stunning in the flesh.

A6CACC90-6A63-446D-A28C-B077C0385075.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Which dealer to use is a hard one as everybodys experience differs.

Although I have not had the buying experience of a new car I have purchased numerous second hand lotus.

Main dealer wise I've had a brilliant experience Oakmere, couldn't do enough to help.

B&C however let me travel nearly all the way there before notifying me the car I was going to look at had sold the previous day. Dispite me calling the previous evening and before leaving home to find out if the car was still available.

JCT600 small show room at the time. Very pleasant to deal with but the car wasn't right for me.

If you aren't 100% set on brand new and the idea of a secondhand but still in warranty car takes your fancy give Jon Seal or Will Blackenham a call.

Archived