litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Flat battery need BL switch and recharge Odessy Batt

collieek

Hi

I just went to the car S1 Exige and the battery is dead flat found the brake lights are on all the time.

So I have two questions for the massive.

Which other cars have the same brake light switch so I can get one from a motor factor.

The other is what is the best way to recharge an Odessy Battery with only 2.8 volts. My trickle charger will not work with anything less than 4 v.

Thanks

PC

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, collieek said:

Hi

I just went to the car S1 Exige and the battery is dead flat found the brake lights are on all the time.

So I have two questions for the massive.

Which other cars have the same brake light switch so I can get one from a motor factor.

The other is what is the best way to recharge an Odessy Battery with only 2.8 volts. My trickle charger will not work with anything less than 4 v.

Thanks

PC

2.8 Volts, sadly I think you’ll struggle to revive that one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry - only just seen this post. Dont whatever you do go for a genuine Ford part like my idiot garage did as they are over £30! Get a cheap 'n' cheerful non-original from Elise Parts https://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/23/10/brake-light-switch/ 

With regards your battery - all may not be lost! Can you get some jump leads attached to your Exige? If so, connect them up to a 'donor car' and then try and trickle charge your Exige whilst still connected to the donor car. After 3 or so hours, disconnect the donor car and see if your Exige battery has now got over 4V in it to enable full charging.

Good luck

I've occasionaly revived a battery by putting a headlamp bulb or similar load accross the battery whilst connected to the charger, I guess thats the same principle as Mutley00's method

On 30/05/2019 at 13:46, Mutley00 said:

Sorry - only just seen this post. Dont whatever you do go for a genuine Ford part like my idiot garage did as they are over £30! Get a cheap 'n' cheerful non-original from Elise Parts https://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/23/10/brake-light-switch/ 

With regards your battery - all may not be lost! Can you get some jump leads attached to your Exige? If so, connect them up to a 'donor car' and then try and trickle charge your Exige whilst still connected to the donor car. After 3 or so hours, disconnect the donor car and see if your Exige battery has now got over 4V in it to enable full charging.

Good luck

Hi 

I tried the above and it works good tip thanks.

On the brake light switch I had knocked it while searching for a live wire and this had caused it to stay on, I did not notice as it had a cover over the back.

All sorted thanks for the help.

Glad its sorted matey.

'Searching for a live wire' on a Lotus? Oooh that is a minefield. Good luck with that one - way out of my comfort zone! My solution for your battery problem came out of my vague recollection of Physics 'O' level and not the vagaries of Lotus electrics.

12 hours ago, Mutley00 said:

Glad its sorted matey.

'Searching for a live wire' on a Lotus? Oooh that is a minefield. Good luck with that one - way out of my comfort zone! My solution for your battery problem came out of my vague recollection of Physics 'O' level and not the vagaries of Lotus electrics.

Yes mine as well, I am fitting a GD water pump and just need to wire it in now but I am not to good with electrics.

I am going to summon the courage and try when I get home next week.

Archived