litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Advice on Elise Sport 190 dampers

Willihc

My Elise Sport 190 (2003 K series) is recovering from a head gasket failure. Repair (skim etc) has gone well, but now that the rear clam is off, the adjustable Bilstein dampers look rather old and corroded and my local garage is looking into replacing them for me (all round). But we can't seem to find the adjustable Bilstein ones. I am keen on retaining originality for this rare model, but not sure what to go for. The garage has found GAZ Shocks Adjustable, Nitron Series 2 Shocks, Quantum Adjustable and Bilstein (Non Adjustable). What would you recommend as the best balance between originality, correct performance for a Sport 190, price and reliability. I appreciate that this question might be a bit small print as I could not find anything specific enough in the forums.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially from other sport 190 owners.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are trying to keep it original (certainly worth it on a 190) why not get them rebuilt by Bilstein? The service centre is based in leicester.

https://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/pages/bilstein-rebuild-service

they rebuilt my S2 Bilsteins (non adjustable) last year.

It might be worth asking what they can do with yours.

As Richard says try Bilstein for a rebuild first if you want to stay OE. I always found them a tad harsh mind. Ohlins if you have deep pockets for the ultimate i suppose. My old ones are in the loft somewhere. I doubt they will see the light of day again.

And there's me thinking this was a bit small print.... Incredibly helpful replies - thank you very much. I had not even thought about getting them rebuilt as I assumed that with a name like Bilstein, the would have come from Germany or something! - I really like the idea of getting the original ones reconditioned, so that will be my first port of call. And yes, mine is the gunmetal one with the red interior at Stones. Once you get those clams off, it is difficult to know when to stop! But the dampers do look sad, and the radiator (plastic ends) is coming out too. I will let you know how I get on with the the the Bilsteins. Much appreciated.........

Archived