litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

340r recommission

Elisesport190

7 hours ago, Elisesport190 said:

Hmm, hit a problem. The car turns over but won't fire.......not 100% sure fuel is getting to the cylinders (I changed fuel filter and drained the tank), spark plugs possibly not firing as I took one out to see if there is a spark while turning over and there wasn't. Not sure I can hear the fuel pump priming either....not sure whats best to tackle first!

I put 19 litres of fuel in and the gauge says 'refill' and only one bar shows. I would have thought 19 litres would show nearly half full? 

Dodgy coil? Plus fuel sender knackered by the sounds. You’d definitely be able to hear the fuel pump if it was priming.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this?? The bodywork is off the car so the engine and 2 front lids sensors are not on the car, therefore not in the closed position.....as this is part of the alarm/immobiliser setup does it disable the car from starting if not closed?

I’m 99% sure mine won’t turnover unless immobiliser is disabled. I’ll have a check tonight if I get chance, poss tomorrow. I know my Exige is definitely dead until I disarm (won’t turnover) but fuel pump does prime.

Immobiliser cut in whilst I was on track at Silverstone a few months back. It would turnover on the key and I think the fuel pump primed but just didn't fire up. Immobiliser bypass sorted it.

For once a cheap fix!!

On the K series S2 the immobiliser has 2 circuits. It cuts the power to the fuel pump and the starter relay so it will do neither if not working normally. Not sure on the S1 without a wiring diagram. Start with the basics. I made a flying lead up with 2 large crocodile clips either end. Remove spark plugs one at a time. Clip one end to the plug body and one end to the cylinder head. Turn over and see if you have a spark?. You should also be able to smell the fuel with a plug out? You could also try 12V direct to the fuel pump to see if its working?

Thanks for replying, the cakes and ruxpin. I took the wiring loom with the lid switches off the bodywork and fitted it to the main loom and taped the switches down. This didn’t solve the problem.

Im guessing that pressing the button on the key once is enough to deactivate the immobiliser as the red light goes out.

Ruxpin, is there a way I can bypass the immobiliser to see if it’s the cause of the problem before I start investigating the fuel pump?

Its driving me mad! Was hoping it would fire up so I can put the bodywork back on. 

13 minutes ago, Martin R said:

On the K series S2 the immobiliser has 2 circuits. It cuts the power to the fuel pump and the starter relay so it will do neither if not working normally. Not sure on the S1 without a wiring diagram. Start with the basics. I made a flying lead up with 2 large crocodile clips either end. Remove spark plugs one at a time. Clip one end to the plug body and one end to the cylinder head. Turn over and see if you have a spark?. You should also be able to smell the fuel with a plug out? You could also try 12V direct to the fuel pump to see if its working?

Thanks, I think the 340r uses S2 immobiliser. I will see if there’s spark at the plugs.

Not sure if the fuel pump wiring is accessible but will have a look. It could be that it’s the pump if the starter shouldn’t turnover if the immobiliser is active. Particularly as the dash says refill even though I put 19 litres of fuel in.

But on the other hand, if the immobiliser was working correctly then the alarm should sound when I lean into the car as it has intrusion sensors. The alarm hasn’t triggered since I put a new battery on...

I'm not sure where the bypass fits - i just drive it and try to avoid using spanners!! Steve Guglielmi looks after ours.

Ours definitely turned over but didn't have a spark. 

Only just seen this as been away on hols.

Have you checked the inertia switch. I had an issue with mine refusing to start after jacking it up on one side to fit a new alternator. Turned over but wouldn't start. Tried all sorts and then a mate found the inertia switch down in the left hand side of the engine bay (looking from the back of the car). Pushed it in, it clicked into place and the car started first time.

Just a thought.

57 minutes ago, Dr H said:

Only just seen this as been away on hols.

Have you checked the inertia switch. I had an issue with mine refusing to start after jacking it up on one side to fit a new alternator. Turned over but wouldn't start. Tried all sorts and then a mate found the inertia switch down in the left hand side of the engine bay (looking from the back of the car). Pushed it in, it clicked into place and the car started first time.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I did check it and it didn’t need resetting. I took it off the car and shook it to trigger the button then clicked it down again. I can borrow the one off my sport 190 as I know it works plus I’ll check the wiring.

However, I think that because the gauges are flashing to refill the tank even though I put 19 litres in, the pump might be faulty.

I wonder that if the car thinks the tank is empty it cuts out the pump until the level arm raises. I think the level arm has got stuck in the empty position and not floated up with the new fuel 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hope you had a good holiday!

Archived