litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Sat nav/Route planner

PJT

Does anyone know of a good app to plan routes with. I want one where you can pick a destination then point and “pin” waypoints to keep you off motorway, away from built up areas/ traffic and on B roads.

i’m on Apple

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, PJT said:

Does anyone know of a good app to plan routes with. I want one where you can pick a destination then point and “pin” waypoints to keep you off motorway, away from built up areas/ traffic and on B roads.

i’m on Apple

do yo have access to a pc or windows device? if you do I can explain how you can map a route and create a GPX file, I believe there are Apps to use on a IPhone you  but that part involves buying an app and is still complicated.

I brought a Tomtom Go which will direct you on your route, is also hands free which is handy,

sorry I cant be more help on the apple front.

You can build a route plan on Google Maps on your desktop (obviously Mac or PC). If you mean that you’re using an iPhone, then there’s no way to transfer a route plan over to your mobile device and Google Maps on iPhone doesn’t support multiple way points. Apple Maps definitely doesn’t either!

I use an app called Copilot- used it for years. Yes, it’s paid, but you only need to buy the geographic areas you need. I’ve used it for navigating in a lot of countries without any issue and as you download maps to your device, you don’t need data for it to work. The only issue I have had is here in the UAE where the map data can lag behind the rate of road building and road closures/diversions. You can enter way points, choose to avoid motorways/tolls etc. save and load routes, and it will dynamically adjust your route if you make a mistake or if traffic delays warrant it.

HTH

I’ve just got a new sat nav app called ‘Scenic’ on my iPhone. It seems to have been developed for bikers and easily lets you build routes with waypoints and navigate them. Even has options for ‘efficient’ or ‘curvy’ routing when you just select start and finish points. 

It’s free with a paid option for some advanced features but I haven’t needed to use any of them yet. 

3 hours ago, chrisdb said:

I’ve just got a new sat nav app called ‘Scenic’ on my iPhone. It seems to have been developed for bikers and easily lets you build routes with waypoints and navigate them. Even has options for ‘efficient’ or ‘curvy’ routing when you just select start and finish points. 

It’s free with a paid option for some advanced features but I haven’t needed to use any of them yet. 

Thanks Chris will have a look

Archived