litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

So, When The Top End's Not Connected To The Bottom End

dobbo

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jessica, bless her, saw the engine and gearbox in the garage yesterday and pointed to them say "Daddy's car bits".

I have no idea how she knew that...

Oooh, look what's now in my garage....

S160 VVC and CR box.

With my Jenvey TBs, EP big-bore exhaust, Emerald, 285H cams, verniers, a little porting and a re-map, it should be good for 180-190 according to DVA. Coupled to the CR box (and a few nice bits and bobs from my engine) it'll be as quick as my current one. I might lose a bit of top-end speed, but my current one pulled 140 in 4th, so I'm not really worried about that !

(actually, it'll be a lot quicker than my current one, given that it's dead :P )

Hi Chris

That spec is similar to my beloved silver car. It was limited to 7300rpm at which point the power was still going up, showing 177bhp. Had 144 out of it, flat in 5th with a CR box. Trouble is, without a forged bottom end you'd be unwise to go beyond those revs or beyond 180bhp. The good news is that with that constraint, you can tune it for torque - mine pulled like a train throughout the rev range - lovely!

Hmm, mapping it for torque, I could stick with the standard gearbox and not see a lot of difference through the gears.

It would also give me a CR box to sell, which would fetch more than a standard one, I expect.

Ho hum.

Turns out it's not a 160 after all. Still the seller is more than happy to refund with apologies, so that's good.

Anyone got a spare 160 or VHPD hanging around ?

Ho hum.

Turns out it's not a 160 after all. Still the seller is more than happy to refund with apologies, so that's good.

Anyone got a spare 160 or VHPD hanging around ?

Have you tried putting a wanted ad on exiges.com for a vhpd?

Archived