litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

So, When The Top End's Not Connected To The Bottom End

dobbo

Yep, saw that, thanks. Unfortunately I want a 160 if I'm to mkae the most of the rest of what I'm keeping installed. There are quite a few differences between the 143 and the 160 engines.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris, these might be worth a ring if they do a 12 month, 12k mile warranty at this price ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item23018c7707

I know it says exchange but it still might be worth the price of a phone call.

I suppose the other option is something like this and get Mike or DVA to rebuild it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ZR-TF-160-VVC-K-SERIES-1-8-ENGINE-45-000-2000-2006-/230621370218?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b21ad76a

As promised on the seats thread...

It's getting a s/h 160VVC (really, it is this time !) with just 30k on it.

The Scholar one was a lot of money, which I couldn't justify, and he didn't get back to me when I contacted him again recently.

The 340R one on Pistonheads got no response despite me emailing him twice.

So after literally hours of research by MikePMC and me (cheers Mike !) we found this one. It should be delivered tomorrow.

The 160VVC head is virtually a VHPD in terms of valves and bores and with suitable blacking kits, etc, can take BP285 cams (ie the same as mine). The bottom end isn't quite VHPD spec, but it's higher than the 143VVC or standard engine, and DVA reckons it's good enough. With vernier pulleys, my manifolds, my lightened flywheel and some mapping, it should end up pretty close to my current spec (but working !).

Hopefully it'll be ready early next week once - there's no rush unless it can be ready for early Saturday morning, which is unlikely.

Cheers !

Yes, I'll be taking the old one apart. Depending on the damage to the head, I'll either strip and rebuild, or strip it for bits to sell. Same with the bottom end, although only the forged conrods are likely to be worth anything as the pistons are damaged and the rest of the bottom end is just standard, I believe. DVA might have upgraded the bearings, but I can't see there being much value in second-hand bearings !

Archived