litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Has Anyone Opinions On Trackers?

Rus

Tesco have a list of trackers on their website when you get an online quote so i just picked one to get a quote and it knocks the ins down by five hundred squid. If i buy a tracker this year and get the policy from tesco's it will cost me the same as my renewal quote, but in future years should give me some better ins quotes.

Has anyone else got one on their elise? Or clues on which one is best value but still gets me the cheaper insurance?

Russ

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a Tracker Retrieve on mine. Not listed on their web sites, although the other Tracker ones are, but you phone them and they accept it.

Think it was £300 installed and £100 an year there after.

It's the most basic one Tracker does.

What about this - it's mainly used for employers to track their vehicles on a daily basis, but I can't see why it wouldn't work in a tracker-type use.

http://www.carnetics.co.uk/purchasing_shop.php

It's a pay-per-use thing, so no costs once installed in case you need to use the service. Simply install and switch on whenever you leave the car. Then, if it gets nicked, you can track it on the website as the thief won't know it's there and it'll not have been switched off.

Not got one myself, but thinking about it. Probably no insurance discount, but way cheaper than a fitted and paid up Tracker subscription that overall might cost less than the cheaper insurance.

Chris

basically all the same. just check with insurers to check they approve it. should be circa 300 with annual 100 charge. all do the same thing really.

tracker monitor works BTW ! 30 mins and found !!!

I had tracker retrieve on my scooby. When i was car-jacked last year the police chopper went up together with a police pursuit.

End result... one scumbag locked up for 5 years.... and my left arm held together with a metal plate and 8 bolts.

Without the tracker, he would probably have got away.

I havent had one fitted to my elise though. I am not really sure if i would want it back. The last little episode cost me £400 excess and £348 to get the car released from the police lock up :angry:

Thats my pennies worth.

Cheers for info, prob end up going for the tracker retrieve to get the ins down a bit in future. And incase some scumbag should tea leaf it!

Russ

I also went for the lifetime (your ownership of the car) option on the Tracker - a one off £300 fee with no further charges. A good thing if you are keeping the car for a long time.

So remind me what we pay council tax for? I thought it was to fund police work which includes catching criminals and recovering stolen items. If they then charge individuals after the item has been recovered then surely you can offset this aginst the council tax charge and claim it back :P

Perhaps the charge is for the extra police time required to actually do something whereas before they didn't bother. I think it may be called "donut down time".

:angry:

My dad had his car nicked when he was on hols and thanks to the Tracker it was recovered... as the car was stored by plod, they tried to charge hima £50 release fee. He complained and ended up contacting the chief constable, resulting in no fee being charged.

I got my 111s when it was 2 yrs old and it has a Tracker fitted to it but I haven't subscribed as Esteem insurance would give me no discount...

Archived