litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Picking Car Up Friday

tonner_notts

hi im hopefully picking my new car up friday :drive:

111s got a great price on it. havent been able to get it checked out but had a service in march and cambelt service last year with ball joints done etc

when you go to the pub in summer etc, do you leave the roof off the car? how safe are the cars, dont want it nicked.

are they ok to leave out over night with hood on etc,

just general info on how to care for the car etc

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends where abouts in Nottingham you leave it.

Overnight keep it as secure as possible.

Down the pub, leave the top off. How else will all the young kids get a decent phone pic of the interior otherwise :drive:

its in mansfield actually not a bad area, do you leave the roof off? with doors locked and alarm on etc?

will be kept in a garage at my house but at gfs outside, can u get a cheap cover to put over it at night instead of a lotus one etc. just general tips etc im after

Usually put the shower cap on mine if leaving it out overnight and can't be arsed to put the roof on. If it has the cobra alarm system then it should have a movement sensor between the seats that sets the alarm off if anyone reaches inside when the roof is off. Don't know if the standard alarm system had a movement sensor or not.

Russ

oh yeah, don't use polish on the ali bits of interior because it takes the anodised layer off of it.

Tonner - Piece of free advice. Drive VERY VERY VERY carefully in the wet. Had my S1 for 4 days before putting in a hedge in the wet on Saturday. See Technical. Very annoyed. Thankfully very minimal damage.

Only taken roof off and on once but took me only 4-5 mins. Gotta leave it off if fine. It is a totaklly different car with roof off.

Gaz

PS - You can still get the car checked. The law states that even on a private sale that the seller must disclose any known problems with the car. Just get it booked in on the day of collection. Took mine to Nick Whales, took about 2 hrs and is worth the £135. Alternatively put on reciept sold as seen with no defects described.

Don't know dealers in Mansfield but Peter Smiths is in Hatton, Staffs (30 mins from you)

Lucky you!

i cant wait until i post something similar!

Also looking forward to saying i'm going on my first trackday!

But alas quite a few months away yet! 18 at least!

yes ive heard that alot about the car, loads of ppl must buy the car and not get training days etc.

will take it steady in the wet, bit worried about what ppl have said about this, and i have the pirelli tyres which arent ment to b the best are they

Try not to worry about it too much. Most Chavs don't have a clue how to nick an Elise,the worst aspect is "envy lines" had a couple on mine in the past but if it stops you owning the car then they are winning.

My car lives outside 24/7 but slightly off the road,if someone is going to have a go then they can just as easily do it when your parked anywhere B+Q etc etc,also had a couple of fags thrown in(leather seats so no problem) a coke can and a condom ffs!!!!!

My biggest concern is those tyres and wet roads,Car limits 1st Lotus whatever they're calling themselves these days,get booked in now,its worth its wieght in gold.

I've put a removable steering wheel on all my Elises to date,at least they have to work at nicking it :drive:

Enjoy your car, and as I said, try not to worry about all the scum that are out there,lifes to short and your grin will be far too big.

hth

Regards

Jon

Hi

Only probs I've had leaving the roof off is with this country's sodding weather - I had to run out of a meeting yesterday morning when it started to pour down... and that was after a great sunny drive in 30mins before :)

Hi,

I would second all the comments about taking it easy in the wet.

Can I ask if you have driven a mid-engined real wheel drive car before? They handle differently (that's why you buy em! :( ). You need to get used to it.

Even then, the Elise handles differently to alot of other mid engine cars.

In the wet, take it VERY gently until you are used to it. When you come off islands, DONT put you foot down until you facing straight down the exit road (no matter how much you want to show that 17 year old in the Nova with the wing on the roof, who's right up your ar*e, just how well it goes!). Remember- his front wheels are pulling him off the island, your rear wheels will be pushing you out of it :clap: )

Where I live (Shrewsbury) it's safe to leave with roof off, windows up. Just take the face plate off the stereo, and all the pound coins out of the little "trays" by the door hinges- then there's no temptation to lean in.

Enjoy, and let us know what you think! :(

Regards,

Ian

PS: Another tip (but more for your ego!)- make sure you can get in and out OK before that first trip to the petrol station. You don't want to be falling out onto the fore court :lol: !!! Trick to getting in and out easily- put the seat RIGHT back before getting out ;)

Ive always found if you drive it as you would a " normal " car in the wet, you will have no problems. Just because its a Lotus does not mean you have to boot it all the time. When i have got mine out of line, ive found it totally predictable in its responses and attitude. ENJOY :clap:

Ive always found if you drive it as you would a " normal " car in the wet, you will have no problems. Just because its a Lotus  does not mean you have to boot it all the time. When i have got mine out of line, ive found it totally predictable in its responses and attitude. ENJOY  :clap:

yup. gently does it is the order of the day and with this you will have no problems. its only when you start trying to drive it like an elise in the wet when you start encountering problems - it just doesn't generate even 50% of the dry grip you get

Archived