litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Picking Car Up Friday

tonner_notts

surely i will be able to drive quick and take corners quick but just not take risks till im used to the car. if you pull off in a straight line quick is the car ok?

I have to post this too, slightly harsher tha Malbon - as is my way.

If you drive like a twat, you deserve everything you get, and rest assured you will stack it.

Much as I love Evo's and Scooby's etc this car is neither of them, no electronic handling toys, just great handling car with a bit of punch

You WILL need a degree of driver skill, and you WON'T have one long if you don't give it a few weeks to catch up with the car.

If you think you can get in an Elise and hooley it day one you must have shit in your eyes mate.

Posted in good faith, tell me to bollocks if you like, I give a monkeys, just rather not see our first MLOC member with a yellow ribbon and a bunch of flowers round a tree together with your 1st Elise.

Bob

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1st Lotus is definitely the place to learn how it feels to lose the back end without worrying about traffic/trees/buildings.

Definitely sobered me up by how much width the car needs to stop spinning, let alone distance covered.

Go down the night before, stay at the Travelodge round the corner, get to the airfield nice and early and have the time of your life!

How much width the car needs to stop spinning, let alone distance covered.

Never ceases to amaze me when I see the bigger mid engined cars do a Torvill and Dean.

When the arse end goes the spin of a mid engined car whilst usually travelling in a straightish sort of line, certainly does cover some ground.

Epicentre ?

You see this is the biggest problem with the Liz.....You have to drive it and you need to take your time to be able to drive it.Its a very fast car in the right hands and its a treacherous car in the wrong hands,just take your time and you'll be fine but forewarned is forearmed,I bet every owner on here has had a "moment" at some point in thier early days with the car.

Hasn't Walshy got a video out...could be worth ordering one if your going to have to wait for a bit of driver training.

Don't be put off by all the warnings on here,just take it carefully to start with and you'll be fine.

hth

Regards

Jon

might be slightly harsh bob - but the guy is 21 iirc and it sounds like he just wants to get in the car and do 0-60 in 5 seconds - fair play :P but when you are used to fwd cars that you can back off from when the heat is on you better wake up. just trying to save the guy a few quid. i know it sounds like a preach and im no grandad at 26 but like you say the car requires a degree of skill to drive properly. its not like an evo that you can just get in and burn off.

might be slightly harsh bob - but the guy is 21 iirc and it sounds like he just wants to get in the car and do 0-60 in 5 seconds - fair play  :P  but  when you are used to fwd cars that you can back off from when the heat is on you better wake up.  just trying to save the guy a few quid.  i know it sounds like a preach and im no grandad at 26 but like you say the car requires a degree of skill to drive properly.  its not like an evo that you can just get in and burn off.

Think you miss read my post jono.

I thought you were being very mild in you comments (with good meaning). ;)

I posted that this guy was clearly heading for Boot Hill. :P

21 or 44 being a twat in a new car is stupid.

oh yeah..i did think i was a bit hard when posting but i hate seeing people stack elises. they are such an easy car to drive fast when you know how to do it. such a hard car to drive fast when you don't.....

let my 18 yr old brother drive my cars a few times. drove my clio sport like a pro - drove the elise like an accident waiting to happen :P

i wont drive like a twat at all, was just asking on tips incase i lost the car etc, which i probly wont,

i always wait and get used to my cars without taking risks, i had 2 accidents soon after passing my test and its made me realise to grow up and respect the car,

Tonner,

Don't take it personally...but you see under everyones name it says "Oldtimer" "Veteran" etc, well before long you'll have Veteran or Oldtimer under your name,and you'll be just like us, in so much as you will be tired of reading threads with the title "Stacked my Elise after two weeks" etc, or the all time favourite "Lost my new car on spilt Diesel"

Its all just friendly advice,thats the best thing about MLOC its the friendliest Lotus bbs there is :)

I didn't realise you were 21...your a lucky lad.I was driving a Renault 4 when I was 21 LMFAO

Enjoy your new car,bet you can't wait for Friday to arrive.

Regards

Jon

I hope the weather is like this for you tomorrow.

You will have a great time. If you learn one thing from all this its that the elise is a fantastic car to drive.... the steering is something else :)

But

If provoked in the wrong way, it will bite your hand off :)

Enjoy yourself tomorrow.

You have got a whole summer ahead of you to get to know the car.

Oh..

And dont forget your sunglasses :D

Join us on the run through Northants & Leics next Sunday, go in the slow group and you'll learn loads. Watch others and the lines they take through bends, braking and acceleration etc and you'll get build up smoothness in the car.

Join us on the run through Northants & Leics next Sunday, go in the [b]slow[/b] group and you'll learn loads. Watch others and the lines they take through bends, braking and acceleration etc and you'll get build up smoothness in the car.

I didnt know there was one :drive:

think i will wait a few months get used to the car, probly come on one near end of summer, dont want to try to hard to keep up etc.

if i lose the back end which i shunt as i will takeit really steady, do i need to keep accelarateing but not as hard, and steer into it?

what do you think my 1st mod should be please dont say an exhaust, im thinking gettin stereo and speakers sorted 1st, any other ideas

Archived