Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Picking Car Up Friday

tonner_notts

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.1stlotus.com

If you havnt had a rear wheel car before I would go on one of the airfield training days as it is a totally different car to drive from the front engined "boy racer" mobiles.

If you get something wrong in those the worst that happens is usually a bit of understeer, you back off and the car catches it. Try backing off mid corner in an Elise and you will be through the hedge backwards quicker than you know whats going on!

The 1stlotus course lets you see where the cars limits are safely and what it feels like before it goes. I have done a few of them, remember a Subaru Impreza STI I was there with once span at 40mph the first time round and by the end of the day he was doing 90 on the same bend. Showed me how much driver input and understanding was the key to driving any car!

Until your used to the handling, booting it before the car has straightend exiting an island is not a good idea even in the dry. Once that rear end steps out, it happens

really quickly ;)

I came from a 4wd scooby and i had'nt had the car that long when i gave it a bit too much in second gear off a dual carraigway island. Luckily it caught it, but it was a great wake up call :o

You will love the car. Just enjoy :D

One good tip....

Book yourself on a carlimits training day.

The best money you can spend......

and it might save you a fortune :D

Think there might still be a place on the 1st lotus day on the 10th June, see event section. The 1st lotus driver training has some brilliant reviews and from passengering on track days with people who have done it, it makes a BIG difference.

Russ

which course is the closest to nottingham?

you have all managed to shit me up from what you have been saying lol

i wont have training for a few weeks after getting the car,

any tips on handling what to do if i understeer over steer etc? general handling tips please for the time being

If you lift off mid corner because you think your going too fast then the back end can come unstuck. I've done this twice before, on track though.

As a few have said above, booting it before straightening up to exit a corner/bend can cause the back to let go. you'll be surprised how far you can go in the dry without this happening but, on a damp/wet road p0's can be scary. ;)

Russ

you have all managed to shit me up from what you have been saying lol

No need to worry. Although it will be VERY tempting to see what it can do- just remember you have waited a long time to get the car you want, you have a long time to get used to it and you want to be able to enjoy it for a long time too!

You WILL get all sorts of Dreamers coming up behind you really quick and sitting on your arse- normally 1.2 Corsas (with 8 youths stuffed into it), Cavaliers, Metros, etc; for the life of me I don't know what they are thinking- just don't let them make you do anything daft. Just laugh hysterically in the wing mirror- that normally upsets them!!! ;)

On the other hand- you don't have to drive it round like a vicar on prozac- drive it normally and it will behave normally. Just be aware that when the weather's not good, it needs a lot of respect. The main thing I like about the Elise is that you dont HAVE to drive it quick to have fun. Because of the amazing handling, you can drive it at a very constant speed (straights, bends, islands) and cover a lot of ground quickly. I find this hacks off a lot of people with much more expensive cars- but they're forgetting their vehicle is twice the weight, has a metal body and is brimming with family members!

Doesn't matter how fast your car goes if you have to slow down for every bend- in the Elise, you don't!!!

Regards,

Ian

1st lotus days are either crail airfield(Scotland) or North Weald, j7 off of M11. Don't know of any training thats local to Notts. Booked up until a few months time as well so it might be a good oppourtunity to get on the 10th June day.

Russ

>>teacher mode on.

im just putting my hands over my eyes listening to all of this ;)

its a sportcar and not a thrash mobile. even taking corners quick in the wrong manner can upset it. take your time and respect the car otherwise it will bite you in the ass.

all these questions about can i do this or can i do that - straight answer is no.

i think out of the cars iv driven it is by far the best handling but totally unforgiving. catching the arse is a pain in the arse.

TAKE YOUR TIME and enjoy the whole summer in the thing instead of trying to do too much too soon

>>teacher mode off.

I'm with Malbon on this one. If I had a pound for the number of new owners I've seen post a message saying I've only had my car x weeks and I've managed to spin it etc I would be driving a bright orange Lambo and not an Exige ;)

Take it easy, you have plenty of time to learn the car off the road safely at North Weald. Not something you should be doing on public roads.

Archived