litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Mloc Fund Raiser - Le Mans Or Broken

Tango190

I've got an Elite, sadly it rarely leaves the garage but it has had similar problems in the past. The fuel problem could be linked to the filter between the tank and the pump. You'll probably find its full of muck, its also worth checking the the pipes going into and out of the fuel pump, if the threads on the brass fitting are not sealed with blue loctite, or similar, then the minute the pump is put under a load they draw in air and the engine splutters.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got an Elite, sadly it rarely leaves the garage but it has had similar problems in the past. The fuel problem could be linked to the filter between the tank and the pump. You'll probably find its full of muck, its also worth checking the the pipes going into and out of the fuel pump, if the threads on the brass fitting are not sealed with blue loctite, or similar, then the minute the pump is put under a load they draw in air and the engine splutters.

Hi Andy, Nice one, as your only in Harborough, why not dig her out and meet us at the Royal Oak on Sundays run ?

Another older Lotus on MLOC, whatever next :blink:

I'd love to but the Elite needs an MOT it failed on, among other things, rust! The seat belt mounting points have turned to powder.

However, I'm on a mission to attend a MLOC event in it this year, I've even put the window sticker on it in anticipation.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, here we go.

Have not had ANY pro assistance on getting the old banger ready for the 1p per mile Le Mans tour.

Have had a tremendous amount of internet assistance and support from MLOC members and chums, Excel Eclat forum, the guys on Lotus Esprit Forum, a chap in Toronto ??? etc etc

I've now had the car for 1 month.

Carbs have been totally rebuilt, all new gaskets, seals, 'O' rings.

Distributer has been changed.

Ignition timing has been set to the advised degrees.

Have now done about 500 miles on short runs out the biggest being the MLOC catch up for lunch, and a trip to Castle Combe.

Jobs to be done this weekend:-

1) Balance carbs - again.

2) Fit oil cooler pipes.

3) Fit GPS (as the Speedo's gone Kaput)

4) Unseize (!"%^£&*&!¬&%) power steering/water pump adjuster/braket and fit new vee belt.

5) Top up gearbox/diff/engine with various lubricants.

6) Fix various stickers to warn the French I'm ENGLISH

7) Fit Dave Ladders Le Mans 2005 Sunstrip

8) Pray Carlimits bumf comes through.

9) Pray - lots - and then a bit more.

In the spirit of Le Mans, we will be trying to do an Endurance jobby, so no Jeremy Clarkson quickest to Rouene, just a gentle chug.

Anyone not already sponsoring us at 1P Per Mile there and back to raise MLOC funds - make yourselves know.

Not 1P goes in my pocket, just a gesture of good will to the Admin running of the MLOC website and forum.

Maximum cost will be £10

Thanks all, feels like we have a mission, even if we are slow :P

Bob n Kim

Right, here we go.

Have not had ANY pro assistance on getting the old banger ready for the 1p per mile Le Mans tour.

Have had a tremendous amount of internet assistance and support from MLOC members and chums, Excel Eclat forum, the guys on Lotus Esprit Forum, a chap in Toronto ??? etc etc

I've now had the car for 1 month.

Carbs have been totally rebuilt, all new gaskets, seals, 'O' rings.

Distributer has been changed. 

Ignition timing has been set to the advised degrees.

Have now done about 500 miles on short runs out the biggest being the MLOC catch up for lunch, and a trip to Castle Combe.

Jobs to be done this weekend:-

1) Balance carbs - again.

2) Fit oil cooler pipes.

3) Fit GPS (as the Speedo's gone Kaput)

4) Unseize (!"%^£&*&!¬&%) power steering/water pump adjuster/braket and fit new vee belt.

5) Top up gearbox/diff/engine with various lubricants.

6) Fix various stickers to warn the French I'm ENGLISH

7) Fit Dave Ladders Le Mans 2005 Sunstrip

8) Pray Carlimits bumf comes through.

9) Pray - lots - and then a bit more.

In the spirit of Le Mans, we will be trying to do an Endurance jobby, so no Jeremy Clarkson quickest to Rouene, just a gentle chug.

Anyone not already sponsoring us at 1P Per Mile there and back to raise MLOC funds - make yourselves know.

Not 1P goes in my pocket, just a gesture of good will to the Admin running of the MLOC website and forum.

Maximum cost will be £10

Thanks all, feels like we have a mission, even if we are slow  :blink:

Bob n Kim

Sounds like a few late nights between now and next week Bob! :blush:

Hope everything goes according to plan. :drive:

At least you've got a boot though, which is more than can be said for most of us. :D

Quicky post, I've been a bit busy - re Pete's post.

Steven and Jez - 1st post updated - nice to have you guys on board - anyone got an RAC card ? - No were OK on that one :o

Pete, as far as the boot goes , oh yes, plenty of space for my 'Y' fronts and fags,

The rear seats can be used for other essentials like hairdryers, posh shoes, wine, an evening frock, and other such clutter (Kims)

We can franchise out the remaining space at Ashford ... going rate ... 1P Per Mile :)

Jez, dunno about pace car, more like radar fodder to me - but ever willing.

Carbs will be setup over Wednesday, and Thursday evening using a Manometer type device circa 1960, you just have to see this gadget.

Would post a piccy, but somethings not working right with "Unlimited" post space on MLOC right now, or Beefy's barred my piccies :(

Come rain, shine, shit or bust, this will be the most stupid thing I have ever done to date, and I'm sure it will be a hoot.

PS - Not sure about this, but apparently the French go mental if they get a reference to Kermit the Frog - If anyone can find one in soft toy form, I'll strap it to the roof aerial with tie wraps :(

• 3 weeks later...

Right ive waited and waited and waited. Do i owe MLOC a tenner or part thereoff. Not a mention not a peep. I can only presume it,s one of the following,

1) Bob,s to embarresed to ask for it ( unlikley )

2) He went in the Tivver.

3) He pushed it there and back ?

Come on Bob spill the beans :drive:

Right ive waited and waited and waited. Do i owe MLOC a tenner or part thereoff. Not a mention not a peep. I can only presume it,s one of the following,

1) Bob,s to embarresed to ask for it ( unlikley )

2) He went in the Tivver.

3) He pushed it there and back ?

Come on Bob spill the beans  :drive:

We all owe the full £10 ! Congrats, Bob n Kim.

How do we pay ?

Yep the Old Girl made it down and back.

No word from Mark (Beefy) yet, could be on hols.

As soon as I know what to do I'll let folks know.

I am totally amazed by the support, and I near sh!te myself going without Euro cover for a drag back after Jonno Malbons probs.

Think we were very very very lucky as the probs started Blighty side arouns Luton.

Still made it though, no roadside assistance (only me) Chris/Graeme got the Halfords oil top up shot ?

Martin R - Come Donny on saturday - we'll revel most.

I will write up the ACTUAL run for us.

"Bonjour Bob"

Archived