litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Mloc Fund Raiser - Le Mans Or Broken

Tango190

QUOTE(PeterField @ May 5 2005, 10:21 PM)

BTW what's this Tracey like?

She's a very nice young lady, with a bloke like a brick duffa and a genuine Cossie Sierra 500 that will deffo spank a few Elise/Exige butts !

Guess that's me told then!

I'll get my coat. :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
QUOTE(PeterField @ May 5 2005, 10:21 PM)

BTW what's this Tracey like?

She's a very nice young lady, with a bloke like a brick duffa and a genuine Cossie Sierra 500 that will deffo spank a few Elise/Exige butts !

Guess that's me told then!

I'll get my coat. B)

Sorry old chap, keep looking ... :)

Here is a copy post I did on the Excel web forum.

Bought the little darlin on Thursday, drove towards home, everything was rosey.

Car was picked up running on fresh air, so pulled into my BP and bunged £15 of BP Ultimate in.

Drove the last couple of miles home, no probs.

Decided to go to work in her on Friday got about a mile down the road and she's coughing and spluttering all of a sudden, Pumping the accelerator to keep it going. Limped to work, same on the journey back.

Have so far disconnected the fuel feed to the carbs, fuel pumps pumping quite well by the look of it 1/4 litre in a few seconds.

Changed the ignition coil, and coil HT lead.

Can't get at the dizzy until I remove the plenum backing plate and trumpets.

Symptoms are, from cold fires up straight away, but cannot get it to pick up on acceleration, very hard to even keep it running at all, choke on just a tad, any more and it will die.

Keep feathering the throttle and very very very slowly (with backfires through the carbs you can build up the revs, then seems to die back again.

Keep doing the same thing until she warms up and by feathering the throttle climb very slowly to about 2000 rpm and she will rev easily all the way up to silly rpm, keep blipping the throttle and she's fine, let it drop back below about 2k and feather again to get the revs up then fine again above 2 to 2.5k and beyond.

Could the dizzy baseplate be stuck or the centrifugal weights (if there fitted) be stuck ?

Any ideas before we buy a dizzy from you ?

It's an Éclat Excel 1983 with 912 lump.

Also, was that you at Mallory on 1st May in the Blue car ?

<END CROSS POST>

I reckon the dizzy's gone ape shit, waiting for Mikes response (Lotusbits.com not Mike Horizon) ((YET))

We'll sponsor you a penny a mile Bob :)

As for checking out the car, the only problem my dad's had is the fuel pump packed up for about 2 minutes, then started working again (he replaced it later).

Before you get excited it doesn't do many miles (45000 Genuine miles) :blink:

Uncle Reg & Elaine, sorry dudes, completely missed your post in the madness.

Thanks for sponsorship, I'll update the 1st post.

Looking like I'm going to need quite a few spares, possibly a dizzy to start with :clap:

1st Post updated.

Bob

Called Mike Taylor at www.lotusbits.com today - bloody nice bloke.

He'd been reading my posts on the Eclat/Excel website but thought it was all sorted.

Its should be come Saturday, picking up a spare dizzy from Mike.

We spoke for ages and he's never seen this happen to any other dizzy as they are apparently force fitted / interfernce fitted or such similar.

My old bills and notes say the dizzy was rebuilt not so long ago, me thinks by an arse !

I can just see the tyre levers in there checking if the centrifugal weights or springs were ban jaxed.

Can't wait to go over to Mikes, about 1hr drive from Tamworth.

Le Mans, were coming and all you 1p sponsers start saving your pennies.

Update Saturday/Sunday coming .....

Bob,

Mate at work has just bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=4543744467

He's got an Elan Sprint already.

Thats a nice car, late model too.

I must admit, only drove this one a bit before the problem, but the later ones must be a great drive. They ended up about 180bhp too, top links on the backend, Toyota 5 speed box etc etc.

Might be tempted on a better one next year.

Cheap as chips too really.

Bob

Car was picked up running on fresh air, so pulled into my BP and bunged £15 of BP Ultimate in.

Shell Optimax is far better :)

Yeah I know Reg, except this little baby was in Tambo, our nearest Opti station is Lichfield.

Thought it best to get some crappy Ultimate as a short measure.

The Tivver hates the stuff, no pinking just no guts.

Anyway, pretty sure it wasn't the BP Ultimate that eat the dizzy :rolleyes:

Right - were on again for the 1p to Le Mans run.

Got back from www.Lotusbits.com in lovely Kites Hardwick - near Dunchurch - Coventry way.

Came back with another distributor, full set of oil cooler and pipes, another speedo dial, throttle springs, all sorts of stuff - total spent £70 well chuffed.

Cleaned the Dellorto's while they were off, and also the new dizzy.

Popped the dizzy in and set it to where the old one was marked.

Banged the carbs etc back, few minor turns of the dizzy to find a decent firing point, and away she goes. :tup::D:D

Revving freely (even though I haven't put a timing light on it yet) maybe a tad retarded so just upped the idle screw 1/4 turn for now. Got to find out where the timing marks and pointer are now.

Ticks over like a good un now, not even lumpy, quite impressed.

Really pleased, except I can't get the car out of the garage cause theres bloody pallets of bricks and skips on the drive. :blush:

Whooshy dude, your added to the 1st post mayhem, lookin like £120 for MLOC if all goes well.

First real test of the car will be this Sunday to see if we can meet up with the Midlands run near Kettering.

Aiming for the lunch stop at the Royal Oak, see you all there hopefully, still time for a few others to pop up and sponser us on this one.

Bring it in :angry:

Bob, Liz and i are gutted we cant make the run. Sunny climes call and all that. Glad to hear the " real Lotus " is showing signs of a recovery  :angry:

Bagged a timing light from a "bird" at work, so its going to be a busy old day on Saturday, oil cooler pipe change, re time ignition, change fuel filter, oil etc etc .

If all goes tits up on the Lotus, might rag a last one out in the Tivver with meaning !

Night Night all.

Bob, Liz and i are gutted we cant make the run. Sunny climes call and all that. Glad to hear the " real Lotus " is showing signs of a recovery  :angry:

Bagged a timing light from a "bird" at work, so its going to be a busy old day on Saturday, oil cooler pipe change, re time ignition, change fuel filter, oil etc etc .

If all goes tits up on the Lotus, might rag a last one out in the Tivver with meaning !

Night Night all.

Im glad im miles away then :P

Archived