litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

The Madness Continues ... Now With Piccies

Tango190

Well, its clearly the begining of the end for the TVR.

Just bought a new daily driver...

A Lotus Type 89 :P

That means Tivver goes in the garage, and snuggles up to an older Lotus at night.

Shall I use it for Le Mans - at least Castle Coombe's an option ?

Does now mean the TVR Chimaera 450 will now be placed officially up for sale.

So the madness plan is on it's way

1) Sort out daily banger

2) Sell TVR

3) Begin the long journey of finding my Esprit weekend car.

Life is good.

Bob

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Type 89 = Excel. Nice car if it's not shagged.

What year & spec?

Well done Graeme - 1st prize :D

It's an :-

Eclat Excel in Silver + cacky colour lower sill and spoiler.

2.2 litre 912 engine

5 speed box

1983 (by the VIN)

Optional power steering

Electric windows mirrors etc.

ORIGINAL stereo !

Couple of small crazes on the rear 3/4 section, pop up headlights work !

Speedo is all over the place, but the rest of it is pretty good for its age.

How much do you think - be honest.

Bugger, must type faster  :D

Surely you're spending the Esprit money there? :D

Nope - not spending the Esprit money.

I knew I needed to get a daily grind (ooh er) so I budgeted for it (what me!)

I looked at Autotrader sheds in the sub £1k and just couldn't do it.

Looked at £2k cars and thought I can get an old Lotus for that money and still carry the Lotus badge and go to Lotus events etc until Esppy time.

Paid just over £1500 for it - only time will tell of course, but it's good enough to (possibly) be a long term keeper for my daily "run"

Ok so 7.5 sec 0-60 ain't quick - but I'm sure I can help that out a bit.

Looks like I might be going to the Lotus Stoneleigh bash to pick up a few odds and ends to keep as spares - love it already.

Blackpool car ... be gone ....

£1500 for a 1983 Excel...

Does it have any oil pressure? Have fun balancing the carbs! Sorry, don't mean to tease - just that I had a Jensen Healey with the 907 engine a few years back.

nice one bob. brave move going for an 80's lotus. you ve obviously got it going through your veins. me and ladders reguarly see a red one around desford. nice cars. good luck in the esprit search. ill keep my eyes open if you let me know what sort your after.

My dad had one (exactly as in the picture) for years.

Was a great car to grow up in. My dad finally got rid of his a few months back after running it from new to over 100,000 miles.

Hardly anything ever went wrong.

The bloke that used to service it for my dad now runs it as his everyday car. Told him about the website the other day and he's now signed up (paulderbys).

Hello paul !!

Something like this then?

Although 1983 version obviously

Very same shape Steve, the piccy looks like a left hooker.

No spoiler on mine Graeme :D

Chris - have heard they can do big miles, this seems to have been loved a lot (by the service history) all the usual stuff MOT's etc - but ... original bill of sale too just for fun.

I'm so happy to have a LOTUS again, even if its an old one, and sadly a Black badge one too - I'll leave that to Graeme to explain the truth or not about the Black badge Myth.

Dare I trust the old bugger to make it to Le Mans - 50th Anni an all that ?

<EDIT>

Just realised the good guys on the MLOC that either have a bit of previous (Lotus) history behind them, or can appreciate the loonies like me that followed the old man's ambitions (Chapman)

Thanks for the comments chaps, nice to know theres a bit of support and knowledge of the pre Elise/Exige era.

Traweled the internet, and of course am struggling to find the "ECLAT EXCEL".com site. If you've seen it and I missed it please post it. Sure theres a small group somewhere.

CASTLE COOMBE HERE WE CHUG :D

Bob, have you seen the 1996 Esprit in Autotrader. I only had a quick squint at it. It was at the brother in laws and i had forgot the glasses :D It had done 34000 i think. Twin turbo version. :D

Bob, have you seen the 1996 Esprit in Autotrader. I only had a quick squint at it. It was at the brother in laws and i had forgot the glasses  :)  It had done 34000 i think. Twin turbo version.   :)

Stop it you bugger.

Buying one Lotus in a weekend is bad enough let alone two :P

Archived