litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Are Rear Fog Lights A Legal Requirement?

lummo

Anyone know if rear fog lights are a legal requirement?

Sometimes, when I have the lights on, my rear fog comes on all by itself, leaving me driving around looking like a c*ck.

I'm guessing it's a dodgy fog light switch, so a couple of weekends ago I took all the switches out (thanks to the wiki for instructions), sprayed with contact cleaner, gave them all a good blow out & re-assembled.

It's been OK since - until tonight.

Lovely day today, pleasant drive home from work (the long way round :D ), got home - I'm looking like a c*ck again :jumpy:

So I'm thinking, as a temporary measure, I'm going to take the bulb out - that'll sort it!

Any thoughts, anyone?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have thought that if it's a light then it needs to work. Also you see Jap imports with ugly fog lights bolted to them so I think they're on there for a reason, i.e MOT. Thats just my opinion though :lol: Whether or not they actually check them is another matter.

Front fog lamps are not obligatory but if fitted must be white or yellow in colour, used in a pair and must not cause undue dazzle or discomfort, nor be used except in seriously reduced visibility. They must be clean and in good working order.

Rear fog lights are obligatory on a vehicle first used on or after 01.04.86. They must be red in colour and must not cause undue dazzle or discomfort, must not be lit whilst vehicle is parked nor to be used except in seriously reduced visibility.

Where two are fitted both must work. Where one is fitted it must be fitted to the centre or the offside of the vehicle. They must be clean and in good working order.

The driver must be able to see the lights are on by way of a visual indication (warning light) inside the vehicle.

:lol:

Right. Instead of going for a drive this lovely sunny afternoon :) , I took the light switch panel out (again) and removed the offending fog light switch.

I'd looked at the Eliseparts switch last time this happened, but didn't fancy spending £20. So this time I went on ebay & found a scrappy selling a switch from a Peugeot 206 for £7.48 (inc postage). Terminals looked the same in the photos, so I Bought-It-Now. Hopefully this will do the job, should arrive in a couple of days.

In the mean time, I've re-assembled everything, but left the connector off the switch so it can't switch the light on when I'm not looking. ;)

So thanks everyone for the advice, I'll let you know what happens.

Right. Instead of going for a drive this lovely sunny afternoon B) , I took the light switch panel out (again) and removed the offending fog light switch.

I'd looked at the Eliseparts switch last time this happened, but didn't fancy spending £20. So this time I went on ebay & found a scrappy selling a switch from a Peugeot 206 for £7.48 (inc postage). Terminals looked the same in the photos, so I Bought-It-Now. Hopefully this will do the job, should arrive in a couple of days.

In the mean time, I've re-assembled everything, but left the connector off the switch so it can't switch the light on when I'm not looking. :bday:

So thanks everyone for the advice, I'll let you know what happens.

£7.48 is not bad at all!

Archived