litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Early Winter Diy

Martin R

Continuation of post two.

My car had started occasionally making a slight whirring noise when warm. I had put it down to the gentle way it was driven. A couple of pics of the upper, inner cambelt cover.

P1010003-10.jpg

P1010004-11.jpg

The exhaust gear wheel has obviously been rubbing. I love it when a plan comes together ;)

Talking of cam gear wheels. I knocked a tool up to help remove them.

P1010005-11.jpg

P1010006-10.jpg

3 bolts and nuts and a couple of pieces of steel. A bit rough ? Possibly. Does it work ? Oh yes.

Wrap some tape around the bolts to stop them marking the wheels.

As Dave Andrews cant fit me in for a few weeks, ive made some liner clamps. I have no intention of rotating the crank but better safe than sorry.

First pic.

P1010007-6.jpg

They are made from nylon bar. 40mm diameter. 110 mm long with a 9.5mm diameter hole in the middle. This needs to be reasonably accurate to ensure the right fit.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Continuation of third post.

Ive used the old head bolts in the same holes as you are supposed to. Ive also added a large washer on the top to prevent them turning as i tightened them.

P1010008-5.jpg

The clamps are not supposed to protrude over the liner. This is why the 40mm diameter and the central hole must be close to the measurments.

P1010009-5.jpg

Hopefully i will not need these to often. They are available for use if i ever finish :mail:

Ive also now modified the crankshaft pully. Ive machined off the air con pulley as i have no need for it. It lowers the rotating mass and also makes access easier.

Before.

P1010010-3.jpg

After.

P1010011-3.jpg

Ive also modified the oil pump oilways according to Dave Andrews wonderful website.

http://www.dvapower.co.uk/

This is the oil pump after ive modified it and got all the crap out.

P1010020-6.jpg

Notice the white paint on the web at the top. This is the alignment mark to the crankshaft belt pulley.

P1010013-3.jpg

It has to line up between the 2 dots ive also painted white. Heres another pic. Not brilliant im afraid as its behind the engine mounting but it should give you the idea. You also have to use new " patchlock " bolts when replacing the oil pump.

P1010022-4.jpg

• 1 month later...
Just a quick update and so i can boing this back to the top to find it. The head is off to DVA next week, Friday probably Yeehaaaaaaaaaa :talk:

Nice one Martin, glad he managed to fit you in B) Is dave doing a straight swap or are you leaving it with him?

Nice one Martin, glad he managed to fit you in :blink: Is dave doing a straight swap or are you leaving it with him?

Miles as the vvc mechanism is so complicated im just virtually taking the lot to him. He is charging a bit extra as the prices on the web site are for a stripped head. He will either transfer my bits to a ported head or strip mine and port it and reassemle it. It also needs hardness testing etc. I expect i will have to leave it with him but not for long hopefully.

• 2 months later...
We are going to be back in buisness with this very shortly. Im picking the head up tomorrow from sunny Milton Keynes :angry:

Hi Martin

Dave made a great job of putting together my engine which has been totally reliable.

I speak to him via facebook but have never met him.

Please give him a big kiss on my behalf.

Thanks

Sarah

Ive just returned from fetching the head. A couple of messages from Dave.

Mike, is a fu####g traitor for buying a none K series car :)

Sarah, im to give you a big kiss from him. I did mention one from you, by me. He promptly turned round and showed me his arse. I politely refused.

I will post a few pics of the head when i get a chance.

Archived