litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Sensible Car Question

Kris H

Really boring topic but I have to get a new sensible car due to a bit of a change in circumstances and getting very p'd off with getting cack company mileage rates driving a diesel, so the landrover has to go. Good bye body roll anyway!

Question is, do I get a ford focus or not?

Basically I want to pay not much and it has to be petrol and cheap to run, and we get big discounts off fords, landrovers, jags due to my wife's job. Probably 25% or so off list.

Given the above conditions and that I will kill it with boring motorway miles pretty quickly, should I get a focus or is there something better that I can get for not much cash, which still has a reasonable engine and enough room. Need to have reasonable comfort levels and cheap options. Has to have four seats and has to be new since warranty etc important. Reasonable fuel economy also an issue.

Thoughts chaps or chapesses (and Scott B) )?

Kristian ;)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what you'd expect to pay for a new Focus . I know it's not in your discount list but the Seat Leon must be worth a look. The Cupra Sport (??) looks great value for under 15k

The Focus is very nice.. my mum is buying one.

You can pick them up cheap, they are nippy, good handling, comfortable etc

My personal fave is still the Seat Leon though....

If you are buying new and want a warranty etc.. Hyundai Coupe, new one looks, good, goes well, is cheap, very well specced etc </random thought>

I'd love to get one and have thought about it but basically I think I'll be able to get a 15k top spec focus for about 11k. Think I could get a leon 20v (not R) for about 14k but still about 3k difference which would pay for lots of 1st lotus days and maybe lss. Probably too expensive. ;)

Know very little about the hyundai. Maybe worth a look. Expect that the residuals will be shocking though, but could be wrong. Part of the problem is that whatever you drive which isn't the elise tends to feel crap and it makes it difficult to judge. Landrover was easy since it was totally different and felt more like driving a 2l d turbo truck, which was OK. Getting battered on work mileage rates though so that's not good.

Focus is a good car, in a bland, common way ;)

For 11k, I'd be looking at a Leon Cupra, excellent VFM. Or even a Skoda Octavia RS (or is it now vRS...) which again are meant to be excellent cars.

But I'm the kinda bloke the goes for rare cars. Hate driving something common.

I'd even be tempted by a Bora 1.8T or V5 - was most impressed by the one by brother in law bought recently. Hell, for £11k you could get a V6-4motion.

Accord Type-R?

For a new car i'd get an ST170 focus, cheap to run, best handling in class, eats up motorway miles, good residulals and easy to sell on too.

True, a bit bland, but aren't all cars compared to the Elise?

Used? Like Matty said, a Bora V5, not really a fan of the 1.8t in 150hp guise.

Yep ... Focus is a good car. Missus has got one loaded with leather, heated seats, screens front and rear, traction 6cd aircon etc ...

Handles well too.

Remember new focus come out this year, so values of current stock will be reduced accordingly

the TDCI is also a cracking diesel engine

I'm driving a 52 plate ST170 Focus now. heated leather recaro's, xenon lights, climate and a factory installed decent sound system with sub and 6 cd changer made it a bit less painful. and 6 speed makes the motorway a doddle. Paid 13.5k with 9k miles on the board which is above average price for the car but they dont come along with the recaro's very often and they make a massive difference IMO. Not a bad car in the twisties, not an elise experience obviously, but i have managed to keep up with a couple down the B roads.

Cheers

Johnny M

Yep.

agree with all that. i had a 1.8 lx one for a company car and they are well built, handle good and a few little toys for your money. they look ok too.

looking forward to the new one coming out... might even get one myself!!! (ST170- that is!)

steve ;)

Never had a Focus, drove one once and didn't like it but you should definitely get a good deal on one with your discount and the fact there is a new model coming soon.

The good thing about driving a "standard" car is that you appreciate the Elise just that little bit more when you get in it.

Just park it round the corner from your house.....

Fiona

No brainer.

Get the Focus. It's the best small-medium sized family car, and you can get 25% off, which is 10-15% better than "normal" people.

Only decision remains, which one?

1.6 goes quite well, v economical but a bit lacking in torque. 1.8 bit faster but scarcely as you'd notice (different, heavier engine). 2.0 interesting and noticeably faster/torquier than 1.6/1.8. Forget the ST170 - the only time it's significantly faster is over 5000rpm, you pay a lot more for car & for insurance but for the day to day hack, it adds nothing over std 2.0. For special days, you've still got the Elise.

Downside is that current Focus is in run-out - there's a new one at the end of the year. Interesting alternative is the Focus C-Max. It's based on the new Focus and it's more family friendly - perhaps more like a Landie.

Graeme

Thanks for all of the advice folks. Think I am trying to convince myself that getting anything other than a car with 25% off is a good move. Don't really like focuses but for no reason other than that there are so many of them around. Trouble is that it's so difficult to get excited about but Fiona's quite right that it makes the elise more special. Tempted just to run the elise which is great on all criteria except being able to get my snarly toothed doggies in at the same time as my son. Second hand is no good because warranty will be limited and I won't get the discount, so I won't be that much better off. Given that I will kill it with company miles I don't want to spend much either, and need to get loads of mpg - therefore landie is out, as are the jags. Can't get a leon for the same money, not in cupra spec anyway. Skoda possible but residuals dodgy.

Suppose that it's down to ST170 or 2.0 then. C-max is out because it's a people carrier. Just can't be doing with that. Would prefer ST170 but fuel economy's not so good and as I'm claiming petrol back I think I'll have to go for a 2l. So painfully boring I could cry... :)

Arse.

Archived