litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Sensible Car Question

Kris H

Kris

Get the Focus. Leon's might be rarer but as a bog standard A-B car the Focus has astonishing feel & balance. Nothing in the class (spec for spec) matches in that respect - really.

At that discount, could we all buy one off you?

Graeme

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could get one for that price but you'd have to marry my wife, and to be honest, I don't think it's worth it...think I'll end up going down that route since there aren't any other cars so far as I can tell which meet the requirements that I need them to for that price.

Kristian :(

I've got a Leon TDI, dirt cheap to run and bombproof. Mine did 56k miles in the last 12 months with nothing but front pads, tyres and serciving every 10k. Build quality is way better than the Focus - the one I tried felt like the doors were made out of cardboard and had horrific road noise. That was a TDCI.

Simon.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, after much dithering I've gone for a focus ST170, which I was quite impressed with, particularly getting over £4k off list due to this discount scheme business. Quite fast and nice at 5k revs. Surprisingly fuel efficient as well due to 6 gears. First insurance quote made my hair stand on end, nearly as much as the liz, but second was OK. Did look at the leon and civic but going to cost me more for a lower spec, so easy decision really.

Now more happy. :D

Kristian

Bloody hope not. Landrover depreciation a compete bitch though. New facelift model hasn't helped but lost over 12k off list in 17 months (just as well I didn't pay list). How crap is that though? :D

what about a smart cabrio? not too expensive, very good economy,cheap tax and insurance, and they look cute. great deals on at smart b,ham at the moment!

Bloody hope not.  Landrover depreciation a compete bitch though.  New facelift model hasn't helped but lost over 12k off list in 17 months (just as well I didn't pay list).  How crap is that though?  :D

ooooh that must hurt, think of all the mods that would have bought :D

I'd say that you are braver/more competent than me building a megabusa. Agree about the ST170 which is practical enough but not so painfully dull that I'll fall asleep every time I get within 50 yards of it.

Cool, a good choice Kris, not as much fun as the Leon IMO, but given the dosh saved, well worth it... v.painful on the Landy though - Discovery I assume?

I'm trying to convince my mum to get a Leon, but she's keen on a Focus, so I may have to work on her getting an ST170 too :D

I've driven the cupra before and I did like it, but was really surprised by how much I liked the ST170. Residuals not that bad for that type of car and in a year it'll probably be worth only marginally less than I'm paying given the discount, so that seems OK.

The landrover is a freelander station wagon ES TD4 auto with cruise, lots of gadgets, bigger wheels and all that cack.

Not that bad to build a megabusa IMO. Mate built a Sylva Mojo and that was a nightmare by comparison, at least with the westie you are only assembling it rather than having to become an expert metalworker and powder coating your own space frame and such like !

The ST170 isnt a bad daily driver, hardly the most exciting car in the world, but it's got heated leather recaro's, a power sunroof, xenons and climate, and a factory fit "bitchin stereo"!! all for a shade over 13k with less than 10k miles on the board. I chose it for it's ability to be comfortable, but with some element of handling engineered in. Engine is a little jekyll and hyde, and you really have to drive it entirely above 5k rpm to get performance from it but i am told the iminent bluefin fixes all of that. Having said that i kind of like it's split personality !

Archived