litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Is it possible to use a 2 post lift on an elise without removing the rear under tray ?

Badger02

Hi. 

I'm considering buying a 2 post lift for my garage for 2 reasons.

1. So I can store 2 elise one on top of another

2. To make maintenance easier

I know you are required to use points B and C, but my question is does anyone know if it is possible to use a 2 post lift without having to remove the rear under tray 1st ?

20230213_163746.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that there is a void/space between the undertray and the lifting point, but you can buy some tough plastic spacers that are designed to fill the void/space perfectly, allowing you to use the lifting point with the undertray in place.

I've often thought about getting a lift and the possibility of double decker storage is tempting. I prefer the idea of a lift with ramps because I'm not sure that the wheels hanging at the end of the suspension travel for a long period of time is a good thing? Might be nonsense though lol.

I found them on elise shop. So if I understand correctly they go in between the lifting points on the chassis and the undertray, and in effect you are creating the same chassis lift point in the same position but on the bottom of the undertray instead

Screenshot_20230214_051318_Chrome.jpg

Here's an idea. Take one or the other of your Lotuses to Gav at Unit 4 in Burton for a service (he's a top man, has looked after my Elise for the last 11 years) and watch what he does with his lift when he does it. I'm pretty sure he doesn't remove the diffuser or undertray while the car is on the floor.

You could just ring and ask him if you are already a customer of his, or even if you're not - I'm sure he wouldn't mind - but it would be a bit rude.

I made myself a nifty lifty so I can jack the rear without taking the diffuser off. I’m happy with it as a solution to lift the rear end to get on to axle stands or bricks depend on the job I’m doing. Depends then on your attitude to risk with a two post and whatever is below with regards that sort of thing. 

Archived