litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Handbrake Cable Lotus Elise 06 111R

Luke Seagrave

Hi,

My Lotus needs a new handbrake cable, a Lotus dealership placed one on back order in August and there is still no date for arrival. Does anyone know if there are alternatives that will do the same job? As at the moment my car is just stuck in storage until I get a new handbrake cable.

Thanks,

Luke

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are two handbrake cables: the short straight piece from the lever to the horseshoe in back of the car, and the long piece connecting the two rear calipers through the horseshoe.  Usually it is the long cable that needs replacing, but check before buying one.  For some strange reason, the truly basic short straight cable is listed as costing nearly twice the price.

SJS often have stock of unavailable items, and in this case possibly an alternative cable:

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/A120J0039F.htm

If that doesn't pan out, try Elise Shop.  They list it as available, but you'd have the cost of importing it.  You could also search the part number A120J0039F and see if anybody has any left in the UK.  Google shows me quite a few, but the obvious Elise Parts comes up as out of stock.

56 minutes ago, Lithopsian said:

There are two handbrake cables: the short straight piece from the lever to the horseshoe in back of the car, and the long piece connecting the two rear calipers through the horseshoe.  Usually it is the long cable that needs replacing, but check before buying one.  For some strange reason, the truly basic short straight cable is listed as costing nearly twice the price.

SJS often have stock of unavailable items, and in this case possibly an alternative cable:

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/A120J0039F.htm

If that doesn't pan out, try Elise Shop.  They list it as available, but you'd have the cost of importing it.  You could also search the part number A120J0039F and see if anybody has any left in the UK.  Google shows me quite a few, but the obvious Elise Parts comes up as out of stock.

Hi Lithospian, Thank you, my understanding is that it's the connecting one to rear callipers. I will have a look at sjssportscars. It feels like they are like gold dust at the moment. I might even purchase two so that I have one has back up just in case.

Many thanks,

Luke

11 minutes ago, Broadside said:

There are also various places that will make up cables to pattern, (not motor factors - proper commercial cable manufacturers) a bit of googling should find something

Thanks Broadside, I will see what I can find. 

Luke

• 1 month later...

As an option I use venhill.  Send them your old cable and they use as a template to make you a new one...sometimes they reuse grommets etc at the pedal end where they are not common.  This is the guy I dealt with

Max Adams.  Venhill Engineering Ltd  |  21 Ranmore Road, Dorking, Surrey, United Kingdom, RH4 1HE
Tel: (+44) 1306 885111    Fax: (+44) 1306 740535     www.venhill.co.uk

Good luck 👍 

MrWill 

14 hours ago, richbk said:

Did you have any success with this Luke as my 06 Exige is having a little winter overhaul and my cable could do with replacing too whilst I am doing jobs ? 

Hi Rich, 

I found one on elise parts this week. Because they had some stock I then phoned the lotus dealer I use who had put it on back order in August 2022. The Lotus dealer now informs me that their stock should arrive this week.

So I guess if you order one now there shouldn't be any issues in obtaining one currently.

Hope that helps?

3 hours ago, MrWill said:

As an option I use venhill.  Send them your old cable and they use as a template to make you a new one...sometimes they reuse grommets etc at the pedal end where they are not common.  This is the guy I dealt with

Max Adams.  Venhill Engineering Ltd  |  21 Ranmore Road, Dorking, Surrey, United Kingdom, RH4 1HE
Tel: (+44) 1306 885111    Fax: (+44) 1306 740535     www.venhill.co.uk

Good luck 👍 

MrWill 

I will keep this in mind next time my brake cable needs replacing 👍

Ordered from Paul at Oakmere £54. Seems well priced vs eloseparts on this occasion , picking up on Friday and installing before wheels go back on . 
For a change it seems like I have been lucky with stock arrival timing 

rich

Archived