litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Front disc issue

richbk

More brake woes , but hopefully an easier fix  than above post !!

have a scoring /scratching sound on the exige as its back on the road after winter sorn .

mot mentioned corrosion in inside of disc . See pics below of inside and outside of disc ? 
pads seem to be wearing evenly , so I don’t really know what is going on ?

any ideas suggestions greatly appreciated as ever

thanks

richard3C875F3F-BF19-4BD1-884F-089F2AE4D310.thumb.jpeg.8e9d8c5e27610f8216570f527aa7aa88.jpeg2A3F00D5-BD4F-4922-AD10-525CEDE8074D.thumb.jpeg.e3d3cea1a58f1ac45cdee6e80c54dbdc.jpeg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The noise will be the pads on the rusty pitted surface I suspect. Did they simply rust over winter when the car was parked? Rust doesn't always happen evenly.

I would think you could have the discs skimmed if they aren't badly pitted?  If not at least discs for an Elise aren't too expensive.

If it pulls up straight and the pad wear isn't uneven then I would expect you will then be good to go, but I would make sure the whole car, including underneath, is bone-dry before you park it up next winter.

Outer pad has worn down more . 
I have taken the disc off and  brakes etc apart , cleaned , de rusted with a soft wire brush and re fitted . 
mot looks sounds like I may have a warped disc , as pad is catching on the inside as I slowly apply pressure and bring pads in …. Looks like I might be shopping tonight , 

Could be a sticking slider causing uneven pressure slightly, as I always thought that the inner pads wear slightly quicker due to being hotter with less air flow around them.

Pinner surface will rust up quicker as well when stored

Front or rear? Front maybe a slow piston, rear as mentioned above a sticking slider. Could skim and rebed the brakes or you could fit new discs and pads and rebed them.

Takes a lot of heat to warp brakes most of the time it’s pad transfer to the disc that causes the sensation rather than the actual disc being warped. Normally caused by spirited driving then sitting on the brakes at a traffic light. 

It’s the front left disc /pads . On light braking I get a rub on each rotation , so figured it is due to a warped  disc . I have decontaminated the discs and pads to no avail . Will swop the discs and see if it improves , 

thanks for the help 

Richard 

20 hours ago, richbk said:

It’s the front left disc /pads . On light braking I get a rub on each rotation , so figured it is due to a warped  disc . I have decontaminated the discs and pads to no avail . Will swop the discs and see if it improves , 

thanks for the help 

Richard 

As Matt b said above you really have to be going some to warp a disc, most likely pad transfer which is difficult to clean off but a spirited drive should remove.

I get this on a track day if we have to come in hot from red flag and park up and not move the car a few feet every couple of mins until a bit cooler, but after a couple of laps it goes 

link is an interesting read

https://alconkits.com/support/brake-pad-info/110-the-real-truth-about-warped-brake-rotors

If you swap the discs over and the issue follows the disc then you know the problem is with the disc. If the issue stays on the left then the problem could be with the hub assembly?

8 hours ago, MG4Lotus said:

If you swap the discs over and the issue follows the disc then you know the problem is with the disc. If the issue stays on the left then the problem could be with the hub assembly?

Good call , will try swooping them over and see what happens , fingers crossed it’s not hub £££

Archived