litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Axle stands elise s2

Mrker60

Scissor jacks are inherently unstable, or too stable depending how you look at it.  When you raise one side of a car, the car tilts and that side moves slightly away from you.  A trolley jack is designed to move when this happens (and also because the lifting arm of a trolley jack moves as it lifts) so that it stays directly under the jacking point, and the cup can tilt to stay flat against the lifting point.  A scissor jack doesn't do this, so it either tilts over at an angle or slips on the jacking point.  Neither is good.  The effect is limited if you are barely lifting a wheel off the ground, and most scissor jacks are designed to fit securely into a socket or over a raised boss on a specific car so they don't slip, but you really should consider a scissor jack for emergencies only and really never on a car without a corresponding positive jacking point to lock into.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 03/01/2020 at 19:15, Mrker60 said:

I buy the paper and jack.

You pop round and show me how to set it all up.😁

Where are you in our great city? I gave my wheel arches, suspension and brake components a good clean using my trolley jack which you are welcome to borrow. I'm in Ecclesall and if you want to nip round tomorrow you can take the jack and I'll also show you where to put it on your Elise. I've got a sheet of 1/4 inch thick aluminuim and a 1/2 inch thick piece of wood I use to spread the load from the top of the lugs on the trolley jack 'cup'.

Cheers, Andrew

Archived