Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Nlc - Lister Bell Stratos Build Thread

Dr H

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Just been to collect some bits. The car comes back tomorrow (having it collected and trailered back home by a SELOCer - MJK 24)

It's such a hard colour to photograph. Didn't look as luminous today in the 'flesh' but there are about 4 shades on this pic!

47966635108_6ed47dbf55_b.jpg

3 hours ago, Phil S1 said:

Stunning!

Looks like it should be finished next week 😉

If only 😕

Will be getting run in and mapped on a dyno next Saturday though. Just hope nothing goes bang......

Cheap/old bikes Jonny, not worth the investment!

Got it out in the sun today to help cure the paint.

Cleaned dust form the engine / front although the body shop kept it very clean.

live_staticfkr_com_65535_47981126868_574d2edf9a_b.jpg

Fitted front indicators and fog lights and some chassis plates. My son helped with the indicator/lights, first time he's really shown an interest in it!

Got a reply from LB that the trimmer might be available early July.

There's a slim chance it make make the road this summer!

Well it was an interesting day....

Started with bloody foul weather. Putting a car on a with no windscreen or window on an open transporter in weather like this morning is not good. Got to the dyno in one piece and after drying some of the water off we (well Daniel) got to mapping.

Had a few problems with the DBW settings with the ECU limiting the 'full' opening to a max 50% instead of 100% and that only translating to about 25% on the ITB butterflies for some reason. Daniel seemed to that out but then yesterday's idle control issue reared it's head again.

The throttle control step is 1% on the EMU Black ECU I'm using. Looks as though a 1% step on a single TB is OK to control idle as !% is only a small increase in air flow. But 1% on 6 45mm ITBs is much more overall airflow and the change is so big that is swings wildly. The Motec ECUs that Daniel normally uses have a 0.1% resolution on the DBW which would mean that it would probably work fine.

So there is no way it will get through an IVA at the moment as it's can't hold and idle properly once it been off idle and drops back down again. The changes of it getting on the road this summer have just been fooked......cry.gif and it might actually need a replacement ECU and re-wire of the loom to accept. wall.gif

Off-idle mapping seemed to go well though. The Fan on the dyno wasn't that big and may have had something to do with very high temps. Oil was reading 120 (so probably about 110 as the gauge seems to read lower than ECU) and 110 water temps so about 100. However none of this seem to have any effect on the running of the car.

Daniel mapped up to 6500 rpm and we got just under 210hp at the wheels. There is another 1000 rpm and some ignition timing work to do and he's predicting about 240 at the wheels. Which will be 280-90ish at the engine - just about what I was hoping for.

Will try and get hold of a graph. but there is a great lump of torque after about 2500 rpm.

Doesn't sound too bad either

View on YouTube website

So I'm a bit pissed off that the ECU seems to be unsuitable for the application and that the car will not be on the road this summer (.gif but I need to look for some positives.

1. The engine ran om the dyno to just under max rpm, got fookin hot and didn't spring a single drip / leak. Gearbox worked spot on, the first time it's ever had drive through it.

2. My totally custom setup of ITBs, Injectors, inlet manifolds, airbox and DBW works! It's just the ECU is shit at controlling it .

3. Nothing went wrong on the dyno. Nothing came loose, fell off, rattled, caught on anything else, melted or whatever.

4. I actually drove the car off the transported when I got it home and into the garage. The first time it's moved under it's own power (save for the dyno).

48025914272_8aeaa96c77_b.jpg

So plan is to keep sticking it all back together, get it trimmed and in the meantime discuss with Daniel the best course of action for the ECU.

I'm determined to get this fucking car finished lol.gif

Oh and Kieran, his missus and little one popped in to have a look whilst all this was going on. It's his mate that has the dyno and he put me onto him.

Archived