litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Undertray Insulation

Ray Mulholland

Guys,

I'm thinking of ways to try to soundproof (as much as is possible) my S1 and thought maybe the undertrays could be insulated?

I've come across this on www. woolies-trim.co.uk:

Sound and Vibration Damping Pads. 1.6mm (just under 1/16") thick. Self Adhesive. For inside doors, roofs, bulkheads and floors. Dark grey, "bitumastic-type" material. Cut to size/shape BEFORE backing paper is removed. Make sure that surface to be applied is completely clean. Peel backing and press firmly into place. Both pad and adhesive can withstand temperatures between minus 30 degrees and + 120 degrees Centigrade and are highly resistant to aging. For best results the pad and application surface should NOT be below room temperature.

Pad approx. 51cm x 18cm (20" x 7") ............................................... £2.13 each

Full Sheet approx. 107cm x 102cm (42" x 40") ............................... £17.02 each

Has anybody soundproofed their undertrays and does anybody have a view on whether the stuff above is suitable?

Cheers all

Ray

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just spent £750 making my S1 louder. Proberly a lot easier to just buy an S2 :):)

To be honest i dont no if you can sound proof the undertray. Lots of issues with corrosion etc. ???? In all seriousness it may be worth finding out how they have sound proofed the S2 and VX.

Ally

I coated the undertrays of Sonya's with Dynamat. I also did the shelf above the fuel tank, the front of that bit and the floors under the seats.

It made no difference at all to the noise, and makes the undertrays harder to handle when servicing - they're now probably 3 times heavier. If you do do it, remember to tell the garage as they'll want to kill you when the undertrays fall (because they weren't expecting the weight) and they slice their hand trying to catch it...

Chris

EDIT

Floor mats reduce the noise from all the road crap that hits the underside of the car and a full carpet set also helps (came with the car.....)

not a great idea. my old silver elise was really quiet. the panel under your seat must be about a mil thick and loads of noise comes from there. I dynamated the whole floor and under the seats and then put the full carpet set down. cut out loads of noises and was snuggly for the winter.

they'll call you a poof though :)

On cold days with the roof off on my trips to Manchester (65m through derbyshire) I use ear plugs as the cold wind gives me a headache (yes I am stubborn & I want the roof off too much).

That stops noise for me as a by product.

Same effect less messin ;)

Archived