litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Diy Geo

stockhome

Finally finished the Geo on the car I thought I would do a write-up with some info I found useful, the setting I have used are.

Front

Ride height 115mm

Camber -1 degree

Toe 0.4mm out overall

Rear

Ride height - 125mm

Camber -1.8 degrees

Toe - 3mm in overall

Ride Height

Firstly I set the ride height, I found the most important piece of information is that one full turn of the collar up/down the shock body (Nitron NTR) changes the ride height by just under 3mm. Most of the information of the forums advised to bounce each corner after making an adjustment to the collar but I could not get repeatable results. I found the only way I could get the results I wanted was to drive the car round the block in between changes. which was very time consuming.

Camber

MrSimba kindly leant me his camber tool which used a spirit level to measure the camber very easy to use. Also checked this by using an app on the mobile some steel box section and some nuts and bolts ( I will post some pictures when I have the chance)

Toe

For this I pushed the boat out a bit and purchased a Corbo Geo Toolfrom someone on SELOC very good bit of kit really. The principle of this tool is that the side bar is set parallel to the centreline of the car. To do so you measure front and rear width, calculate the difference at the centre of front and rear wheels (at the wheel cap or the wheel centre ring) and adjust the two distance bars accordingly. This means you can move the main bar between adjustments and quickly reset. In calculation the adjustments the the most important bit info was that one full turn of the steering track rod will alter the toe by 4mm. So trying to get the S2 factory standard of 0.2 overall front toe out is almost impossible. This would mean a 40th of a turn each side from centre. The rear adjustment is 6mm change for 1 full turn of the toe link. So again the 1.2 setting is ridiculously difficulty too but as you can see from the photos I managed to get it as near a I could.

Corbo Tool in action

20130403_183114.jpg

Rear wheel

20130403_203347.jpg

20130403_203418.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great work Sheldon, trying to set the toe on the front in particular is a pain as you say, the amounts are so small that they can be thrown by the amount of runout in the wheels themselves. To get round this I clock each wheel with a DTI and then mark on the tyre where I think the average position is to take my readings. Bob's Corbo tool looks a good piece of kit and would certainly speed up the process compared to my set up.

Surely you are not going to get it that accurate anyway unless you have perfectly flat floor to stand the car on?

My garage is pretty flat (i have measured it) but that is one of the issues with setting up the car. I have tried to be as accurate as possible given the area I have.

I would really like a large flat area, but only have the garage as my road and drive have a decent incline.

You can buy individual pads, 1 per wheel, that are height adjustable at each corner to create an artificial perfectly flat 'patch'. I dunno how much they are - demon tweeks website would tell me I guess.

Good write up Sheldon! The corbo tool looks a nice piece of kit. I did my geo a few times after changing shocks, ride heights and experimenting with different settings. I set up the car on a garage floor and kept getting inconsistent readings so took it to work (1000's sq ft of levelled flooring) my settings were miles out against the garage. I corrected everything, set it up again however the car ended up at Essex Autosport with a blown rad after SPA. I had the geo checked and setup by them and they did a before and after print off, I was surprised how accurate I got the setup, I was only .5 mm out across rear toe the test was spot on only using string and poles.

How b

Right need to find someone with a massive garage with a perfectly level floor

Anyone?

Have been thinking is there anywhere where you can hire a bay

How big is massive? You've seen mine (no jokes please!) - I can check the floor if you like.

I use the underground car park where I work it is virtually empty at week ends and very level. I know it 's a trek for you but the offer is open if you can't find anything closer.

Nottingham city centre BTW.

Thanks for the offers guys

I have now set the car up I want drive it a bit and then keep checking the settings as the new parts bed in. Then take it somewhere to check to see if I get the same results as in my garage.

BTW if anyone wants to have a go with the Corbo tool its easily fits in the car.

Archived