litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

London 2012 Olympic Host City

steve-n

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at the countries/cities that have hosted the Olympics in the past. With the exception of Sydney, everyone has suffered from hosting the event.

Far from being a boost, its a drain on a country...

I know, I'm a grumpy git... :( I'll have to take a years sabbatical in 2012!

Only plus I can see is it made Chirac look even more of a failure!

i can see it now at the greeting reception at the G8 summit, Blair will have the biggest grin on his face when he greets Chirac. fantastic !

ps) i'm not even a Blair fan, but what the hell

To be honest Im kind of siding with bermudabob on this one...

Technically Im amazed we got it.. pistol target shooting is quite a highly regarded event at the olympics, and has some strong backing esp in germany, switzerland, etc where a lot of prominent figures, professors, etc are involved with it and judging the sport... Only one snag; its illegal over here.. I cant imagine them lifting the ban for the competitors, otherwise there would be an immense back-lash from the shooting community who had to give up the sport all those years ago, and I cant imagine hosting that event in a different country!... I guess we will wait and see what happens...

Also, whenever we get something like this in the UK, I have this massive feeling the minority of UK "sports fans" are going to make the nation look like a bunch of savage ass holes, which I think we can do without...

Cynical? Moi!.. I dont think I can even spell it correctly

b ;)

******EDIT******

One good thing to come from this; you can never have enough flexible women about the place in leotards... :(

pistol target shooting is quite a highly regarded event at the olympics, and has some strong backing esp in germany, switzerland, etc where a lot of prominent figures, professors, etc are involved with it and judging the sport...    Only one snag; its illegal over here..  I cant imagine them lifting the ban for the competitors, otherwise there would be an immense back-lash from the shooting community who had to give up the sport all those years ago, and I cant imagine hosting that event in a different country!...  I guess we will wait and see what happens...

Probably the same thing as at the commonwealth games, pistols/rifles taken from competitors at the point of entry into this country, and given back to them on the range......... :(

Well I'm with Bob aswell,London London London...is it just me or is our so called capital city a sh£t hole,ever tried to get from one side of the city to the other by car or public transport its a non starter,which means that lots and lots of cash will be spent updating the infrastructure around the east end and the rest of the country can go to hell.Its a real shame the French didn't get it,they could then throw thier money at it and find themselves paying the cost.We could very well end up being the laughing stock of the world regarding the transportation aspects,in recent weeks I've been in Paris and Madrid and had to use thier unbelievably good public transport systems,they really do put us to shame, not only regarding efficiency but also cost to use,and don't get me started on how clean the underground was in Madrid.

According to Radio 4 these Olympics will cost each and every household in the UK £246, thats a weeks wages for alot of the folks I know, and thats before you total in the debt that we may or may not be left with.

The French must be laughing all the way to the bank,

Sorry about the rant but I was starting to think that I was the only one in this country wishing that another country had won.

Regards

Jon

Archived