Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Lotus Will Be Produced Abroad

Mark H

http://business.edp24.co.uk/story.aspx?bra...3A47%3A59%3A347

New Lotus will be produced abroad

26 May 2005

BEN KENDALL

Fears over Norfolk manufacturer Lotus' future in the county were raised today after the firm announced production of its new sportscar is to be moved abroad.

In an unprecedented move, the prestige car firm confirmed that up to a third of its future car production will be carried out oversees. Until now the Hethel-based company, set up in 1966, has only built cars in the UK.

While the company reassured workers that no jobs would be lost as a result, the announcement provoked concern that Lotus' long-term future in the region hangs in the balance.

Chief executive officer Kim Oggaard-Nielsen said the company was committed to at least 10 more years at Hethel.

Today's news is expected to mean the replacement for the Esprit will be built at an existing Proton plant in Malaysia. The last Esprit rolled of Hethel production lines last year and its replacement had widely been expected to be produced in Norfolk.

Mr Oggaard-Nielsen said: “This is about expansion and where that expanded capacity should be located. We, as with many other vehicle manufacturers, will pick the most suitable location for future capacity expansion.

“Financial considerations mean that this will most likely be in a facility that

already exists within the Group Proton portfolio.”

A spokesman added that expanding the Hethel plant was not financially viable.

Mr Oggaard-Nielsen said the company's minimum 10-year commitment to manufacturing at Hethel may be extended.

But he added: “From a business planning perspective it's just not possible to predict any further.

“There is no suggestion that current production would be relocated anywhere.

“This is not the start of relocating the whole company; this is a very common occurrence in the auto industry. If anything, Lotus is one of the last companies to expand production beyond its established home.”

He said no further details of the Esprit replacement could be disclosed but promised “the new supercar will be a fantastic product”.

Production of the Lotus Elise will stay at Hethel and the factory is expected to from making 5000 to 8000 cars.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hum, not sure what to post except bound to happen I guess.

Very sad, but if it helps keep the Badge alive maybe a good thing, just dont see Lotus in financial trouble so it clearly is about expansion, or being competetive in the marketplace.

I still can't move on from the old days when the Lotus car company was something to be proud of. The cars currently made under the Badge are good cars without a doubt.

But there seems an excesive amount of big badge name driving down into the lower car market.

Take the Jaguar car, once a piece of great engineering, then the bad Leyland days, now its full of Mondeo bits and shite Ford Auto boxes that bugger up after next to no miles. Oh yea, and now any Tom Dick Or Harriet can own one.

Where is the prestige anymore ?

Even things like the Porker market has dropped to no mans land, Baby Bentleys - what the hell.

Im sad to say it comes as no suprise. All companies now appear to be taking the cheap labour route abroad. You only have to look at all the call centers moving abroad, mainly India. People with degrees and perfect English answer the phone all day for next to no pay in comparison to here. I for one would never buy a Lotus made abroad. It may have a Lotus badge on it but is it really a Lotus ? On the bright side i will have to buy old ones instead :lol:

Im sad to say it comes as no suprise. All companies now appear to be taking the cheap labour route abroad. You only have to look at all the call centers moving abroad, mainly India. People with degrees and perfect English answer the phone all day for next to no pay in comparison to here. I for one would never buy a Lotus made abroad. It may have a Lotus badge on it but is it really a Lotus ? On the bright side i will have to buy old ones instead  :lol:

Proper ones Martin :)

Im sad to say it comes as no suprise. All companies now appear to be taking the cheap labour route abroad. You only have to look at all the call centers moving abroad, mainly India. People with degrees and perfect English answer the phone all day for next to no pay in comparison to here. I for one would never buy a Lotus made abroad. It may have a Lotus badge on it but is it really a Lotus ? On the bright side i will have to buy old ones instead  :lol:

Proper ones Martin :)

Proper ones indeed Bob. If i did not have an overdraft the size of a third world debt, i would have one by now. Where did i put that lottery ticket :D

Sad to say, "the I'll never buy a XXX made in YYY" crowd have short memories, however defiant they may be in the heat of the moment.

Jag's are made on Merseyside & B'ham not Coventry.

BMW's get made in USA & South Africa (and UK)

Merc's get made in USA & South Africa

Toyotas, Hondas & Nissans are made in UK

etc etc.

In the end our buying decisions are based on the way a car makes us feel.

Sad to say, "the I'll never buy a XXX made in YYY" crowd have short memories, however defiant they may be in the heat of the moment.

etc etc.

Exactly right, and if it means that the new Esprit is built to a reasonable price I'm all for it. Trouble with this country is that our labour & overhead rates will eventually put us out of business.

Lotus hasn't been renouned for it's quality in the past, it's the inovation and feel that gets us all going, This at least will remain here.

etc etc.

Everyone is of course entititled to spend there own money as they see fit. Having worked at Rover for 23 years, i could not in all consience buy a Lotus made abroad. Each to his own. :blink:

etc etc.

Everyone is of course entititled to spend there own money as they see fit. Having worked at Rover for 23 years, i could not in all consience buy a Lotus made abroad. Each to his own. :blink:

Well put Martin, and for those with more money than passion, it's easy to see why some people would buy anything from anywhere as long as you got it cheaper.

Its worth mentioning that this is yet another business, be it car or otherwise, that is being fooked off to the far east, and a few more jobs and prospects go down the pan for your countrymen and women.

Don't suppose that will worry them, until there business is sent that route.

What ever happened to this country ?

So there, with knobs on :)

I would love to agree with the patriotic side to this debate. I served my county, have always tied to "Buy British", and I'm very proud of our heritage. There was a time when we were world leaders, producing goods of all sorts with world beating quality (and I even include Rover in that). BUT, those days have long gone, as Rover has clearly shown.

I do feel sorry for the workers, up to a point anyway (is it right that the directors walked with £40M EACH).

Lets be honest, how much of the cars we love are actually made in Britain, not that much. Bodywork comes from France, chassis from Denmark, engine - who knows where the next one will come from! All lotus do is assemble that parts, and at times not very well either.

Quality may be greatly improved off late, but we’ve all had reason to complain about bits falling off our pride and joys.

The new Esprit is likely to be an even bigger jigsaw of parts sourced from countries other then this. Sad I know....

"Its worth mentioning that this is yet another business, be it car or otherwise, that is being fooked off to the far east, and a few more jobs and prospects go down the pan for your countrymen and women.

Don't suppose that will worry them, until there business is sent that route.

What ever happened to this country ?"

Simple, not enough people take pride in what they do. All to many are happy to turn out poor quality at to high a price. The young have no pride or respect for our past acheivements, and dont expect to work for a living, they expect everything to come too easily because thev'e been gifted everything as kids.

Bring back hanging, national service, the cane & apprenticships. Make the fookers work, and install pride in what they do..

Straight from the heart and bang on :blink: When i did my apprentiship you felt proud to have got it. The only thing they are proud of now is how much they can get for doing as little as possible :)

Think we missed the bit about lazy fat cat shitbags that do naff all except corporate bullshit and never do a days "work".

Nicely put too Simon "The young have no pride or respect for our past acheivements"

when it comes to quality i do tend to disagree lotus has never been know as making reliable cars we all now what most people think lotus stands for, but when it comes to making them abroad i can only see trouble. Thets face it would anyone buy a rolls which was made in soul or hong kong. I think lotus or should I say Proton are going down the wrong route. People will pay more for a car which is made in GB. I can say I will Not buy another lotus if it is made abroad, one of the reasons of my purchase was the fact it is was made in Great Britain.

If hopfully MG is restarted and they are made in GB and lotus move production, I know what I'll be buying.

LOTUS PLEASE TAKE NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Archived