litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Stelvio Trip Planning

JonS

If I was to be planning a trip to the Stelvio area, Italy next year, what kind of 'tourist' sites can I make as stops along the way to help convince the wife we should go? I also need to convince a mate that we should go there instead of the Nurburgring so some great roads along the way would never go amiss.

I know some of you have done this trip before. I want to make it a sightseeing trip, not just a jump in the car for 5/6 days and drive lol.

We are thinking of going at Easter time, where ever we end up going. I guess I should expect snow/ice in Italy? Is this a good/bad time to go? What can we see/go/stay/do along the route?

I'm really a novice at car trip planning so any advice anyone can offer would be great. I know you guys 'n' gals won't let me down.

Bit vague I know but I'm accumulating thoughts, lol

Cheers :blink:

Jon

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stelvio may well be closed due to snow at Easter:(

I would be tempted to pinch some previous itinerary notes and use them as a guide. I went in 2003 with Seloc members (organised by Rob Clark) and the driving and the scenery were just awesome. Because the mountain passes aren't usually main autoroutes, they get you to places you'd probably not travel to otherwise. I still have some incredibly vivid memories for all sorts of reasons including sweeping mountain descents into places like St Moritz with views for miles and climbing a very steep mountain pass into a foggy snowstorm, scary, but memorable.

We did blast across France there and back, to get to the mountains asap.

Have fun http://www.churly.co.uk/

Niall

I wouldnt bother with the Nurbergring unless you specifically wanted to go there. Seems to be surrounded by hundreds of miles of boring roads, and belguim!

I'd just go Stelvio and plan a few stops on the way.

I'd give Snapper a shout as well for a few stop off suggestions, he seems to know the whole of Europe! :drool:

Thanks for the PM Jamie I'll get back to you shortly (am still at work!).

I think what I am after is a all round decent drive to the alps including some sights along the way. Probably constrained to a week if poss.

Its around 900 miles from the midlands to the Stelvio pass.

If you want to do a few more passes in the Alps, then bear in mind that it takes forever to get from A to B on these mountain roads. You really need to be looking at around 8 to 10 days to make it a holiday as well as a drive.

I am thinking about organising a trip to the stelvio and south of france in early september next year.

The stelvio pass will almost certainly be closed at easter time.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my thoughts are developing into initial plans.... Alps in the Summer 2008.

Looking throught the http://www.stelvio.be/ website, does anyone have the Route Book from this website as it is no longer downloadable.

It's called 2006routebook.pdf.

I've tried contacting the original Stelvio trip organisers, but I've not yet heard back from them. Can anyone help with this document?

Looking throught the http://www.stelvio.be/ website, does anyone have the Route Book from this website as it is no longer downloadable.

I've tried contacting the original Stelvio trip organisers, but I've not yet heard back from them. Can anyone help with this document?

If you want some help in planning your own route, then I would be happy to give you some......... If I was you I would allow 8-9 days to really make the trip work to its best.

If you want some help in planning your own route, then I would be happy to give you some......... If I was you I would allow 8-9 days to really make the trip work to its best.

Thanks Snapper. I have been putting a few places down in Google Earth, and I was going to reply to your PM when I'd done this. I'll be in touch :D Thanks.

Still wouldn't mind finding that Stelvio 2006 route document though :D

Or if anyone has any alps iteneries they have done that they wouldn't mind sharing with me :D

• 4 months later...

So, our plans for the Alps trip are progressing well. I'll give more details when we have confirmed a few more hotels.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any hotels to stay in on the shores of Lake Como, Italy. I was thinking of staying possibly Bellagio, but the hotel reviews I read were so varied and some of them really bad!

We're looking for a nice hotel (good parking as well) to stay for 3 nights at the beginning of August. We'd possibly like to make a trip to Monza / Milan so somewhere on the southern shores would be better.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

I've never been to Stelvio, but after I've seen Top Gear "Best road in the world" episode.... I really want to have a trip there! I'll follow this topic with great interest!

Regard Como... well I think I can collect some info for you. Let's keep in touch.

cu,

Andrea

So, our plans for the Alps trip are progressing well. I'll give more details when we have confirmed a few more hotels.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any hotels to stay in on the shores of Lake Como, Italy. I was thinking of staying possibly Bellagio, but the hotel reviews I read were so varied and some of them really bad!

We're looking for a nice hotel (good parking as well) to stay for 3 nights at the beginning of August. We'd possibly like to make a trip to Monza / Milan so somewhere on the southern shores would be better.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Archived