litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Replacement Radio

rocketian

The OEM Bluespot Woodstock head unit in my Elise is playing up and I am thinking of replacing it.

I really like the record facility - I can set it to record the Classic Comedy hour on Radio4 Extra every day so I can have something to  listen to on long journeys.

I want a DAB radio - with Bluetooth (for handsfree), recording facility and sd card slot.  Not worried about CD player.

I can't find anything that ticks all the boxes

Anyone got any suggestions ????

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be careful with DAB imho the worst thing ever for mobile use. FM just gets noisy and a little faint in weak signal areas DAB just shuts off! I have both in my BMW and it stays on FM most of the time for me. Ok there are more stations on DAB but most are not worth listening to.

So if you can get a combined DAB/FM go for that????

Yeah i really don't see the attraction with DAB - never had it myself but have a friend who's has a few beamers/audis that have it, and it's rubbish.  Like dave2111s says it just stops entirely when you go under a bridge that interrupts the signal a little bit.  Is really quite annoying!  Probably not so bad for a stationary indoor radio that you can position for decent signal reception. 

The current OEM radio is DAB - and I like it ! and if the DAB signal disappears you just press the FM button and everything just carries on as long as you are on a "mainstream" channel.  Trouble is you can't get Radio4 Extra on FM.

Some of the head-units I have been looking at automatically switch between DAB and FM to get the best signal.  The DAB antennae is already installed at the factory - seems a shame to waste it

Nothing wrong with the DAB in my VW and I travel all over the country with it. Yes in some rural areas I can loose signal but then so does the FM stations. Not so sure in the Exige as half the time I can't actually hear the radio anyway. I would defo buy a DAB radio for the car without hesitation.

Love DAB in the BMW, it's got more stations that I like to listen too. Sound quality is better also, if signal is lost and there's an FM station it just switches over. I prefer it to cut out then hear static as when I get to work im always switching the radio off when entering a multi storey car park as the FM signal is lost.

I love DAB in the car and I blame Lotus for it. My old 111r was the first car I had with DAB and ever since its been a must for me. I have it in the Fiesta daily drive, and recently fitted a DAB aerial to my Elise along with a Pioneer DEH-X8700DAB head unit. Sorry Ian the pioneer unit doesn't have the record feature your after( if it does, I'm unaware of it) but it does stream anything from my phone so I just download the radio shows to I require to my phone. Very easy using the Beeb radio player app. I think the Woodstock in my 111r was a "53" and there are a couple of those for sale on ebay if thats any help?

I stand corrected - perhaps Grantham just has terrible reception :)  tbh i rarely listen to the radio myself (in fact i'm not sure i'm even allowed to - don't have a TV license and i think that covers radio too?), mostly just MP3s, and in the case of the Lotus, nothing at all :)

Archived