litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Calling Owners Of F10/f11 Bmw 5 Series...

Daveb99

I've been running an F11 520D (8 speed auto) for just shy of 3 years - 44000 miles.

Superb motor - really comfortable even on the 19" runflats.

Boot is a really decent size and happily swallows 2 loads of scuba diving gear without dropping the back seats.

Average of 48+ mpg when used sensibly, into the mid 50's on a motorway run, dropping to 35mpg when only used for commuting but as I only live 2 miles from work hardly a surprise.

I've not had any issues with the car other than the air conditioning packing up 9 months ago and that was a known warranty item and fixed straight away - compressor redesigned to avoid stone chips apparently.

Any questions, drop me a line :-)

Simon

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent stuff Simon I'll definitely be sending you a message or two smile.png

Things sometimes happen fast in our household - totally changed my mind on high milers (especially private sales/independents) and I've now put a deposit on a Sophisto Grey 525d Touring (3.0 litre) - also an 8-speed Auto.  It has 52k miles on the clock, and all the important options - Professional Media Package, Heated Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel, 18" alloys and a few other bits.

Best bit - it's from a franchised BMW dealer, but at a proper decent winter price (less than some indies!) and has one lady owner.  Picking it up in a week or two.

Thanks for all the help/advice so far.   I'm off to start saving up for the oil....

Excellent stuff Simon I'll definitely be sending you a message or two :)

Things sometimes happen fast in our household - totally changed my mind on high milers (especially private sales/independents) and I've now put a deposit on a Sophisto Grey 525d Touring (3.0 litre) - also an 8-speed Auto.  It has 52k miles on the clock, and all the important options - Professional Media Package, Heated Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel, 18" alloys and a few other bits.

Best bit - it's from a franchised BMW dealer, but at a proper decent winter price (less than some indies!) and has one lady owner.  Picking it up in a week or two.

Thanks for all the help/advice so far.   I'm off to start saving up for the oil....

Good choice Dave

I have a 13 plate x5 40d. I can't rate the BMW Diesel engines highly enough and the 8 speed ZF auto box is superb.

We have two on fleet currently, and probably had 4 or 5 over the last few years,  they have all been pretty reliable. Saying that you would expect them to be they are are all new. (we get them on 3yr BCH deals.). 

One thing I would suggest is being careful through puddles, one of them has just cost our insurance company £15k for a replacement engine. ohmy.png  :( 

My brother did the same thing with his 320d driving it through a ford.

My understanding is BMW intakes are very low down in the engine bay.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha thanks Simon.....hoping that doesn't apply to 'normal' puddles - just extremely deep ones (floods and fords!)

Brief update - I've now bought the 2010 525d Touring (3.0l six) with 52k on the clock I mentioned a few posts ago....  

Absolute peach of a car - great engine, very, very refined, superb 8 speed auto box, well equipped, wonderfully engineered and above all, the wife likes it too.....bonus

I know people slag off the main dealers all the time, and I've had my fair share of bad experiences too over the years, but I wanted the 'safety net' of the BMW warranty on this one, at least for the first 12 months..

Thanks for all the help & advice - mucho appreciatos (or something like that).

Couple of pics..I know there are thousands of them on the roads, but I like it all the same :P 

QC9jhEY.jpg
lF7q4UY.jpg

Nice looking car, I like the colour combo!   Exterior wise it's the same as one on fleet, which is lovely in the metal,  but ours has the dark interior which is all a bit monochromatic for my taste. The lighter interior of yours adds something to it IMHO.

I'm sure you will enjoy it smile.png

(Just mind out for fords ;) )

Cheers Simon, yep I wasn't sure about the interior, I've had so many cars with black leather though and you're right - it can be a bit 'samey' inside. My kids were always complaining that my Audis were very dark in the back, so I thought the lighter leather (but dark carpets) would be spot on.

In the flesh it looks the business, seems to add more.....what's the word.......opulence!

Dave I'm biased:

post-4994-0-88053800-1454885728_thumb.jpg

But the way I look at it is why paint the inside of your house the same colour as the outside ;)

(Must be a German thing, which is why I went for pimp red in the Lotus with the Carbon exterior, rather than a black Boxster with obligatory black interior laugh.png )

Only small downside is maintenance, but just keep on top of it with some decent leather cleaning products and it will look great for years thumbs_up.gif

• 4 weeks later...

7ed2c4f62d6099d6667d34751e141640.jpg

Another oyster interior here in my 3 series. Much more airy inside than the black, especially with the black roof lining. Pretty easy to keep clean too, can recommend the autobrite direct leather cleaner, I give them a quick squirt and wipe down every month or so. Great for lifting blue dye transfer from jeans which does start to show after a few weeks.

Un1eash - that's a very nice new motor you have there, it works well in white, especially for a big car - enjoy.

Lukevx - cheers for the tip re leather cleaner - exactly what I needed, i.e. a good recommendation, been looking for the right product for this and it sounds like it will do the job nicely.

Archived