litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Can Anyone Offer Any Advice On A Classified Ad?

Gazlar53

Hi guys,

Do any of you know anything about this one?

I'm about to give them a call as it's the only one out there in my budget at the moment. To my eyes, looking at the pictures, the steering wheel and driver seat bolster looks rather worn for a car with 63k or is that normal?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELISE-S1-1-8-CONVERTIBLE-2000-X/181942506781?_trksid=p2046732.c100040.m2060&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107095009%26meid%3D9ef6d801d0f44f658fe86a489a3ecdf9%26pid%3D100040%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D181811424561

MOT history doesn't look too bad but the wheel damage in 2011 could be an issue maybe?

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Reviews of this particular trader seem mixed too....

Thanks for any advice smile.png

Gareth

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't look too bad to me, not sure what you mean about wheel damage where is that stated? Good price if it also includes the hardtop although not the most popular colour for an S1, I think any S1 at that price point is going to require a few quid spending on it.

Thanks. Unfortunately I gave him a call and it's being picked up on Tuesday by the new owner.

If you check the mot history it gives you a list of failures and advisories and one of them was ns front wheel damage.

Not that it matters now as its gone. I must admit it would be my last choice in colour too.

I didn't look at the mot history although I'm sure I would have done if I was in your position. I don't wish to put a downer on things but an S1 at that price is either going to have moon miles on it( no bad thing with elises if looked after) or need some work in the way of radiator suspension disks etc. Although a lot of them are being priced stupidly but they are going up in value, 8.5k will get you a shabby at best one 10.5k will get you something decent, I sold my S1 earlier this year and studied prices very closely, but all of the above is just my opinion.

Good luck with the search

All opinions welcome so thankyou, keep them coming smile.png

I'd be quite keen to get the general consensus on what I'm going to have to spend on an 'ok' s1. 

I've seen a few (and probably should have done something about them!) what 'read' like good cars go for between £7-8k over the past few months so I was kind of thinking that would be a good starting point. Obviously without seeing them it is all just theory though!

Having said that, this was the only sub £9k car I can find for sale at the moment and has been for sale for at least 2 months (so maybe there is something wrong with it!)

Any advice greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Gareth 

All opinions welcome so thankyou, keep them coming smile.png

I'd be quite keen to get the general consensus on what I'm going to have to spend on an 'ok' s1.

I've seen a few (and probably should have done something about them!) what 'read' like good cars go for between £7-8k over the past few months so I was kind of thinking that would be a good starting point. Obviously without seeing them it is all just theory though!

Having said that, this was the only sub £9k car I can find for sale at the moment and has been for sale for at least 2 months (so maybe there is something wrong with it!)

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gareth

That car has to my knowledge been for sale for a long time. I recognise the pictures.

As a guide i was told a £8k Elise is a £10k Elise that needs £2k spending on it.

99-2000 S1 with normal i.e. 45-75k miles will be around 10.5k for a good one, by that I mean it won't be perfect but will have had all the things done that it should suspension etc. Some things are subjective to the purchaser i.e. cams, engine upgrades etc, personally I'd rather standard but that's just me, also seats in the S1 are an issue for me, due to age my arse needs a bit more padding than when I bought my first one due to age... Mine not the cars :-). All subjective, as is the colour, some will always fetch a premium. Ultimately you need to decide exactly what is important to you, and then be prepared to sacrifice and pay or deduct from the asking price. There are lots of S1's on the market for more than your budget but I suspect most sellers will adjust their price given reasonable argument in relation to your requirements.

Finally, don't overlook higher mileage or cars that have seen a track. The Elise is pretty much totally replaceable apart from the chassis, as long as that's good, you can adjust your price to suit. There are people on here that know the cars inside out, if you find one that you like post it up..... You'll get lots of help!

This is great, thanks for your advice.

Budget wise I'm at the low end of the market and as such happy to compromise. I'd consider cat c+d cars but do worry that selling them in the future might be tricky.

I expect to have to do some work too and as its a second car that shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'd be happy with a standard car and I'm not too fussy on spec or modifications.

If you guys spot any please let me know ????

Many thanks,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth,

At £8.5k I really think you will struggle for a good one. Like Alex says it's likely to need money spending on it shortly into your ownership. 

An out there choice could be to look at a VX220 if budget is tight.  You'll get a newer, lower mileage and likely better example for the same money. OK it's not the 100% Lotus experience, but it's close and you can always upgrade down the line as funds allow. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks guys. Not quite what I wanted to hear but better to know it now.

So in essence (and as per an Alex B's comment) you're saying an early s1 is going to cost £10k. That could be a £10k car or an £8k car with £2k needing to be spent on it.

I can see a vx220 would make sense but it's just not what I want. I guess I have to cancel Christmas and save up a little more!

Thanks again for everyone's advice it's been really useful.

I could be wrong, but with all the media attention the S1 has had recently, and will receive during 2016 when it is properly 20 years old, values are only going one way.

Having said that an untidy car could still be had for low money, but unless you plan to do major upgrades ( ££) , then try your best to pick up a mint car is my suggestion.

Cheers !

I agree try and get the best you can and then your money will be safe in an appreciating asset. I also think s1s are going to start climbing in value soon, albeit slowly and standard or lightly modified cars will be the most sought after. Full service history is a must and ideally less than 50k miles. And good condition, of course.

If such a car can be found for ten or ten and a half grand it shouldn't need a lot spending on it and would be a solid investment.

On the other hand an eight grand car with high miles and in poorer condition would appreciate at a much slower rate. Money may be tight but how much per month would it cost you to finance that extra two grand over say five years? Next to bugger all I suspect.

There's also a great selection of affordable Elises in the Piston Heads classifieds.

A good private sale might be best, then you'll not only get a bit more for your money, but you'll also be talk to the current owner (and they'll usually be a proper Lotus enthusiast).

Archived