litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Throttle Pedal For Heel And Toe

Bobjacqs

Hi All,

I have an S1 with what I imagine are standard pedals. The accelerator is too far away from the brake to my liking for heel and toeing.

What do others do? Is there a kit available?  I'm no engineer so can't really fabricate anything myself.

Thanks

Bob 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Press the brake harder and later clap.gif 

I found the pedals not great at Heel-Toe unless you are braking quite firmly. I think i did see pedal extensions somewhere though on a US site. Sector 111 maybe?

I found the pedals not great at Heel-Toe unless you are braking quite firmly.

I take it yours is a servo'd / ABS car ?

Like Dean and Russ I had no problem with the early non assisted pedal setup, though I'm finding the servo'd setup in my current car is taking a little bit of getting used to.

Not sure if it's pedal spacing, or the amount of braking required before the pedal faces are level, or the additional effort of the non assisted set up meant it was easier to "pivot" my foot.

I take it yours is a servo'd / ABS car ?

Like Dean and Russ I had no problem with the early non assisted pedal setup, though I'm finding the servo'd setup in my current car is taking a little bit of getting used to.

Not sure if it's pedal spacing, or the amount of braking required before the pedal faces are level, or the additional effort of the non assisted set up meant it was easier to "pivot" my foot.

Yes mine is servo'd maybe thats the difference then? Also mine doesn't have the extruded ali pedal as its FBW don't know if that makes a difference?

Is there a simple way to learn heel and toe? I'm an absolute club foot and either rev it too much or come off the brake! I guess a degree of deftness is required?!

Is there a simple way to learn heel and toe? 

Kurt I don't think there is but it is technique you can practise on the road. I find it easier when braking hard so check your mirror wink.gif

Hey, I can even heel-and-toe in the Evora now, and its brake/throttle pedal height differential is appalling.  Sounds great though - so very much worth the three weeks of physio required to get my ankle pointing the right way again!!

Having said that, it is much easier to learn and practice when your car has perfect pedal height and spacing; e.g. pretty much any late model Renaultsport Clio (pre paddle-shift, obviously) or Megane.

You want difficult to heel and toe - try a V8 Vantage, hardest one I've come across.  The throttle response is sooooo slooooow.    And just when I start to get used to it I jump in the Exige and it all goes to pot as I'm over revving it so much  bangin.gif

I agree with Simon, servo assisted brakes are harder to heel and toe - I found with my old vx 220 that there was a sort of bit of slack that had to be taken up (the servo assistance kicking in?) and then the pedal would become much firmer and the brakes a lot sharper. That all meant it was more difficult to modulate the brakes and press the throttle at the same time. It wasn't so bad with very heavy brake applications, so ok for trackdays but not so good for the road.

Kurt your's should be easy to heel and toe with no servo, good pads and quick throttle response from your throttle bodies and light flywheel. All you need to do is practise - I would start when the car is stationary with the engine off to get your foot position right, and then on the road. Check your mirrors though, as Russ says! - it will soon become second nature and saves no end of stress on the transmission, engine mounts, engine even...

Steve Guglielmi adjusted the throttle cable and pedal position for me to bring it more in line with the brake pedal - apparently there is usually a small amount of adjustment available which has made it possible to H & T on mine - early S1 with MMC discs/pads.

Davesmile.png

Archived