litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New harnesses for new seats

richbk

Final part of my winter upgrades , after the cv boots , tyres , headlight refresh etc is a new pair of 4 or 5 point harnesses to go with my lovely new tillet B5’s . My sabelt 4 points have moved with my seats into Ethan’s Elise and the fitting plates for the tillets now require the clip type fitting for the harness . I have ordered new fittings for my harness bar so just need to decide which route to take and hope the MLOC massive can advise .

Are 5 points harness worthwhile, as I use mainly on the road plus the odd track day . not sure what additional parts I would need to purchase and fit to secure the 5th between the legs strap . 
Any  brands I should avoid ? 
does anyone have a lightly used set of black 4 or 5 points gathering dust in the garage?

thanks as ever in advance for info , suggestions and knowledge 

rich 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you have experience but I find harnesses a right pain on the road as, if they are as tight as the should be, you can’t see at junctions. They are illegal in some countries for road use. I added belts to my S1 Exige. If you have not had problem, great, you are very likely to have better neck mobility than me! 

I chose a Schroth 4 point harness because it has the anti-submarine design - it is some stitching on one side only that is designed to burst in a big impact. The idea is that your torso then twists and in so doing you can't then slide out under the belts. I think.

If you use 5 point belts you don't need to worry about all of that, but they are even more of a pain in the arse to put on and fasten up.

If I was racing I would use a 5 point but otherwise the Schroth 4 point seems like a good thing.  I think it is probably safer than a 3 point seatbelt, although I have to loosen it at some junctions in order to see.

Just don't think about Jochen Rindt!

Not even going to google that dean !!

have always had harness in the exige, so got used to the casual release and tighten routine at junctions.

5 point would need more metalwork adding to car to secure the leg strap i think and dont want the extra faff of fitting, pls think seat might have to move to accomodate.

will take a look on seloc, thx. 

leaning towards sabelt or schroth, will keep you all posted

Another option - that I had in my VX220 many moons ago - is a Willans Silverstone. They are beautifully made things, look great and are, imo, the brand with the most cred having supplied harnesses to 19 F1 champions. They are also British, which is particularly nice on a British car. The only reason I didn't get one for the Elise was because they don't advertise one with anti-submarine stitching, but perhaps if you ring them they can do/advise something?

Lots of pretty colours to choose from too 🙂

Archived