litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Tyre options for the S3 elise

slartibardfarst

Hi all

I've bean reading around the forums as I'll be needing new tyres in the next few months but I can't come to any conclusions on what to do.

My S3 has 175/55/16 fronts which means AD07's right... but haven't they been discontinued?

So next option would be the current AD08rs but they don't come in the right size, only 205/45/16's.

There's no way they would fit, right???

What are my options for good road tyres if I don't want old stock AD07's.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why don't you think the AD08rs' wont fit ;) 

Many folks run them on Elises, both S2 and S3 variants.  you just need to check whether your rims will take the width - so its wheel dependant really. As the circumference difference is negligible  

Running them on my cup, but know they rims would take them

Always found the 08 a much better tyre than the 07, grip wise.

No they don't do them in 175/55/16  - but 205/45/16 is a very close circumference, so if your rims will take the width - some do some don't, then they will be fine.

If your car is the RGB as stated in avatar, then likely you have forged wheels which will probably take the AD08's 

I'm sure the forged wheels are the same size on both the RGB Elise and Exige.......  I ran AD08R on the front of my RGB Exige with no issues or rubbing, size was 205/45/16

• 3 weeks later...

I think you will be fine with the 205/45 as long as your front wheels are at least 6" wide, the standard S2 wheels on most models are 5.5". there are a couple of handy pages on the SELOC wiki* which show the various wheels fitted as standard and their specification.

I'm currently using AD08RS on't back and AD07 on the front, in the standard sizes, which seem fine to me, though I'll probably go for the 205 fronts when the 07s wear out. Some people, (on a single trip to the alps) had trouble with the 'RS tyres overheating or whatever but everyone else has been fine.

* I trust it is OK to mention a rival site

Cheers,

As Martin and @ndy mentioned, surprisingly enough 205 tyres will fit in place of the 175's despite the seemingly large difference.

My wheels are 6" so should be fine.  Anything smaller and they won't fit.

I'm just waiting to ware some more tread away before switching.

Archived