litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Which Tyres

AOvens

I'm having the wheels on my Elise S1 (1998) refurbished and as the tyres are a rather old I thought I'd get new fitted rather than having the current ones put back on.

But, what should I get and what sizes?

Currently, they are front 195/50/R15 82V. Rear 205/50/R16 87W. But on BlackCircles it recommends 185/55/R15 and 225/45/R16 and Z rating.

I only ever use it on dry summer days and don't do track days.

Thoughts?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most S1's are now running 195/50/15's front and 225/45/16's rear. 

I have just recently purchased a full set of AD08R's for my S1 for £332 including fitting, valve and balance from

http://www.jefferiestyres.com/

The place was kindly recommended by Dan Webster of HPE Automotive. 

These tyres are fitted to my road and wet weather wheels, so should be perfect for all round driving. 

On 22/09/2017 at 20:45, Martin R said:

R888 are really a track day tyre. The grip in the dry is massive. However when worn in the wet you need to be careful. For a road car Alans advice is spot on.

I agree with that.  Whilst track tyres look cool you will not feel so cool if they aqua plane on a motorway in heavy rain, and it does not matter how much of a driving god you are, at that point you are only there for the ride.  There are reasons why such tyres have become harder to buy and withdrawn. For road use I have switched to Ad08 tyres, on my Exige and they are very good on the track as well.  I have never tried them in the ice and cold, which is  another problem for track tyres.

I have a full set of R888s off my S1 give me a shout and offer me some cash they are yours, I will never track and have put ad07s on they have about 200 miles on them from when I collected the car. I am short of space so they need to go

Martin

Archived