Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

How Much Better Is The Elise S2?

tonner_notts

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

better as in what ?

better as in if you buy a 12k s2 nail will it be better than buying a 9k s1 nail ?

answer is NO.

if you want to feel what a decent elise feels like then just ask someone to meet up and take you out in one.

the s1 is NOT unreliable. I have run them for miles and miles and miles now with just the simplest things going wrong with them. Off the top of my head the only things i can remember going wrong are

hgf

steering rack replace

toe link replace

if your going to buy cheap shit like what you bought before then you have to expect bills. im not being rude but the 'you get what you pay for' comes into full song with the elise. If you buy a straight up car with all the bills and work then it will serve you really well. they have done for me for years now.

If you want a sorted S1 then have a look at Nick Gee's on general thread. its my old car and i put s2 suspension, victories and a quicksilver exhaust on there. its was in beautiful nick (scuse the pun) when i had it and with the time of the year im sure nick will take an offer.

the s2 is the same car that looks different. dont drive any different. dont drive any faster. dont feel any different. same car but newer - ok - feels a tad heavier and understeers a little.

but thats the thing martin. it hasnt got less bangs or clangs - which is what he wants to hear that it has !

a sorted S1 with good suspension will outperform an s2 as its ligher and sprightlier and looks better ! but if you expect to buy any old s2 to just plug and play it aint gonna happen.

buy from an enthusiast is my advice !

..or if you have to...get an s2000..the best compromise...i stress...COMPROMISE...to an elise :blush:

if i go back to an elise, i will be lookin more carefully this time, and testing many a elise,

just wondering if the elise s2, has better components etc.

might go with buyin a well sorted s1 with a bit of cash left over,

although also lookin at doing what christurbo did and going for the vx, either way time and effort will be took this time in choosing the right car

Well, 4 wot its worth, had an s1 elise a while ago - fantastic car, but a little basic. Windows came adrift from winders, boot release would fail. Nothing to stop you enjoying it, just annoying details in a car that you use. Now got an s2, goes brilliantly, being an r has IMHO a nicer gearchange and a bit more torque. Finished better, more like a production car. But I'm only comparing one standard car with another: there's no doubt that an enthusiast-owned and sorted car, of any sort, will be much better than a factory output version. So, as the others said, it depends on what you are actually comparing. I'm happy with my car (but was also happy with the s1). HTH.

..as russell says

but when comparing stevef's 55 plate exige and my car at the weekend their chalk and cheese.

exige s2 is lovely with its nice production feel but lacks what the s1 has in terms of racer and rawness and vice versa.

I wish i could pull steves car out the garage on a winters morning instead of mine but would arrive in mine at donnington instead of steves !

but the twist is steve would never pull his exige out on a winters morning....he d get in his jag.

all depends on how HARDCORE you are :blush:

Sorry if this offends but having read your posts especially those reporting on your various purchases, sales and considerations and in the Months since you joined the Boards, I don't think Elise ownership is for you.

You will always lose out by chopping and changing.

Ding!

Have a bit of a READ of existing threads on here & SELOC and look at some of the acknowledged resources instead of more inane posts! You've been around here long enough to know how to do a bit of research off your own bat.

And in answer to your original question:

Yes.

Probably...

as the title, is it more reliable than the s1 etc?

If you want a bat round in mine tonner your more than welcome and you only live just up the road.

As John said it's his old car that he has done various mods to and in all honesty the only problem i've ever had with the car is the boot release and a clumsy missus before anyone else mentions it.

The S2 is not better or worse than an S1, just different. More user friendly, yes. Less bangs and clangs, probably. Better, never  ;)  Listen to Jon.

The S2 has more problems,rattles,clangs & bangs etc ironed out and is more user friendly with it's continued development, this can also be said for the difference between early S2 & Late S2.

As a whole if you look after your car and maintain it both S1 & S2 are reliable.

As for the speed or which is the quickest, That's down to the driver and their ability.

I've test driven 2 S2s (once as a proper test drive ie accompanied) and once as a courtesy car (ie I drove it how I wanted to) ;)

Neither made me grin like my old S1. Both S2s rattled, both leaked. Neither braked like the S1 with MMCs. Didn't get a real chance on corners that I knew.

Also test driven a VX and have to disagree with those that liked it - I thought it was a total let down. NO grin factor at all, slower than the S1 (although the VXT sorted that). OK, it didn't rattle as much, but it did leak. The seats were more comfy but didn't hold you in place as well on corners. The stereo was better but there was no exhaust noise to hear, etc, etc.

It depends what you want. I love the shape of the S1 over ANY aspect of the S2 shape. I don't like the S1's higher sills, and the S2 has a better hood. Apart from that, S1 any day.

And I'd have said that before swapping for the newer one, so that goes double now !

Im sorry Chris but I have to disagree :P

My Vx is faster than my S1. Done a test against my CTR ;) It is also much more torquey. Mine has the pre cat removed and sounds like it has a sports exhaust. It has everything that my S1 lacked. Mine also has the Turbo seals so doesnt leak - the HD helps though.

In answer to your question Tonner you need to get out there and test drive everything. ;)

For the record I turned down the VXT as it is softer - heavier - more day to day fat boy orientated. The NA was quicker around the twisties. ;)

Im sorry Chris but I have to disagree ;)

Fair enough - that's what opinions are for :P

I want a car that makes me grin every time I drive it. The Elise hasn't let me down in over 5 years, whereas as the S2 and the VX220 both did.

Hope you can say the same about a VX in 5 years time ;)

Archived