litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Tyres

SOUPS

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a new Pirelli P-zero "Type C" which appears to offer the advantages of Yoko AO48's - namely outstanding dry grip, combined with decent wet weather performance and reasonable wear traits - normal tread depth instead of the AO48's already shallow grooves - and allegedly harder wearing.

Could be worth a try. Should be some info on SELOC archives from those who have tried them.

I'm on Advans and they are brilliant on-road: the default choice. However the recent excursion to Donington left me getting passed all over the place by folks on AO48's and left me feeling a bit inferior. Before anyone blames my driving, I know I was on the limits as I could get them squealing all way round a corner! A more aggressive geo set-up can help grip too.

Graeme,

It had nothing to do with tyres as I couldn't get much heat into the AO48's, and they were squealing everywhere too. :)

The bike trackday obviously didn't help the circuit grip.

As for on a S1, for mostly road use the Advan neova is the best choice, Toyo T1-R's are not very good, I've got a set for the exige and they feel terrible, even when compared to the dodgy old Pirelli P6000's that were on there when I bought it.

Toyo R888's and Yoko AO48's are too compromised for everyday all year use.

It had nothing to do with tyres as I couldn't get much heat into the AO48's, and they were squealing everywhere too. 

.....glad it wasn't just mine! :)

Seriously good tyre though in the right conditions, as you say Mark, a bit too extreme if you need to use the car every day.

I'll be trying either the Advan Neova or the Pirelli C Type next... depends on financial constraints at the time they need doing :)

Have Toyo at the moment and have been happy... lots of folks really rate the BFG too, some saying they're better than Advans!

As i've tried neither i can't really comment on the last statement though.

I have gone through more tyres than I want to count (££££) and I have found that I prefered the Toyos to Advans and now I have BFG's I think I am starting to prefer them over the Toyos. I paid £250 fitted for the BFG's and £245 for the Toyos so thats at least half what I used to pay for advans. Certainly wont ever get advans again.

Jaye

Archived